* Man-getpage-in-background: set half an env var?
@ 2003-04-06 20:05 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-06 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

The function either calls the man command via start-process or via
call-process, depending on (fboundp 'start-process).  In the
call-process case, the environment variable GROFF_NO_SGR is set to 1,
but in the start-process case, this does not happen.

Is this intentional?

(I have no idea what the env var does; "man groff" doesn't say.
Maybe if I knew I'd also know that my question was silly.  But as it
is, maybe a comment in the source code could be useful?)

* Re: Man-getpage-in-background: set half an env var?
@ 2003-04-06 23:07 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-04-06 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    The function either calls the man command via start-process or via
    call-process, depending on (fboundp 'start-process).  In the
    call-process case, the environment variable GROFF_NO_SGR is set to 1,
    but in the start-process case, this does not happen.

I probably didn't notice, when I changed it to set GROFF_NO_SGR,
that there were two places to do it.  Would you please make it set
that variable in both cases?

* Re: Man-getpage-in-background: set half an env var?
@ 2003-04-07  9:34   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-07  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> I probably didn't notice, when I changed it to set GROFF_NO_SGR,
> that there were two places to do it.  Would you please make it set
> that variable in both cases?

Done.

* Re: Man-getpage-in-background: set half an env var?
@ 2003-04-07 14:21 ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2003-04-07 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

[About GROFF_NO_SGR]

> (I have no idea what the env var does; "man groff" doesn't say.

`man grotty' does.

    Werner

* Re: Man-getpage-in-background: set half an env var?
@ 2003-04-07 15:51   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-07 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

> [About GROFF_NO_SGR]
>
>> (I have no idea what the env var does; "man groff" doesn't say.
>
> `man grotty' does.

Not on my system :-/

But now I've Googled and found it.  This confirms my speculation that
GROFF_NO_SGR should be set in both cases.