* Emacs build fails loading UNICOWS.DLL
@ 2021-05-16 18:38 Juan José García-Ripoll
From: Juan José García-Ripoll @ 2021-05-16 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I am trying to build emacs using my own script
(https://github.com/juanjosegarciaripoll/emacs-build) for cloning the
official repo, downloading MSYS2 and building from scratch.

This which worked in the past but with a recent MSYS2 distribution,
Emacs does not seem to build. When it launches 'temacs' it aborts with
an error window that complains about UNICOWS.DLL not being available in
the system (which it is not).

I am puzzled, because I am writing this from a previously installed and
built emacs 27.1.90 and it definitely does not load such library. Am I
missing anything? Any help is appreciated

The build options
/c/Users/juanj/src/emacs-build/git/emacs-27_1_90/configure
--prefix=/c/Users/juanj/src/emacs-build/pkg/emacs-27_1_90-x86_64
--without-native-compilation --with-zlib --with-gnutls --with-xml2
--with-lcms2 --with-json --with-harfbuzz --with-cairo --with-rsvg
--with-png --with-gif --with-tiff --with-jpeg --with-xpm
--disable-build-details --disable-silent-rules --without-dbus
--without-compress-install

Juanjo

--
Juan José García Ripoll
http://juanjose.garciaripoll.com

* Re: Emacs build fails loading UNICOWS.DLL
@ 2021-05-16 19:14 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-05-16 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan José García-Ripoll; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Juan José García-Ripoll
>  <juanjose.garciaripoll@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 20:38:41 +0200
>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build emacs using my own script
> (https://github.com/juanjosegarciaripoll/emacs-build) for cloning the
> official repo, downloading MSYS2 and building from scratch.
>
> This which worked in the past but with a recent MSYS2 distribution,
> Emacs does not seem to build. When it launches 'temacs' it aborts with
> an error window that complains about UNICOWS.DLL not being available in
> the system (which it is not).

This means Emacs thinks you are on Windows 9X.  When did you last
updated from Git, and which branch of the repository are you building?

* Re: Emacs build fails loading UNICOWS.DLL
@ 2021-05-16 19:41   ` Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
From: Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll @ 2021-05-16 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

I have printf-debugged. The problem is related to OS_NT being now a macro
in Msys2's toolchain. Thus, when Emacs is compiled, OS_NT = OS_9X = 1 !!!
See this patch that was submitted to my repo
https://github.com/juanjosegarciaripoll/emacs-build/blob/757284e60e13da8341e181b86cda4a7c0d5d079c/patches/0001-Using-other-enum-than-OS_NT-which-is-a-define-in-Win.patch

@ 2021-05-17  5:53     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-05-17  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 21:41:12 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I have printf-debugged. The problem is related to OS_NT being now a macro in Msys2's toolchain. Thus,
> when Emacs is compiled, OS_NT = OS_9X = 1 !!! See this patch that was submitted to my repo
> https://github.com/juanjosegarciaripoll/emacs-build/blob/757284e60e13da8341e181b86cda4a7c0d5d079c/patches/0001-Using-other-enum-than-OS_NT-which-is-a-define-in-Win.patch

That's why I asked when you last updated from the Emacs Git
repository: this problem was fixed there a week ago.

* Re: Emacs build fails loading UNICOWS.DLL
@ 2021-05-17 12:50       ` Juan José García-Ripoll
From: Juan José García-Ripoll @ 2021-05-17 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I was pulling the latest release branches emacs-27.2 and
emacs-27.1.90. It seems the fix has only been backported to the emacs-27
branch (and maybe to master, I have not yet checked).

--

@ 2021-05-17 13:05         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-05-17 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan José García-Ripoll; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Juan José García-Ripoll
>  <juanjose.garciaripoll@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 14:50:16 +0200
>
> I was pulling the latest release branches emacs-27.2 and
> emacs-27.1.90. It seems the fix has only been backported to the emacs-27
> branch (and maybe to master, I have not yet checked).

The fix was installed on emacs-27 branch first and then merged to
master.

There's no emacs-27.2 branch and no emacs-27.1.90 branch.  Maybe you
were using the tags by those names?  In which case you always get the
same version, no matter how many times you do it, because the tags
never move.

So I think you are simply building outdated codebase.