* Where has this cool feature gone?
@ 2022-07-23  4:28 Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2022-07-23  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Where has some useful functionality gone?

Consider the following code:

(add-hook 'post-command-hook 'dmp-post-command-hook)

(defun dmp-post-command-hook ()
  (message "Hello"))

When you are typing text into the minibuffer, some times some
other code like dmp-post-command-hook displays the text "Hello"
in the minibuffer so you can't see what text you are typing into
the minibuffer and you have to wait about 5 seconds for the
message to disappear, revealing the minibuffer of the code
you were typing into the minibuffer.

In a more up to date (I am using emacs-version 26.3) version of
Emacs it displays the Hello message beside the minibuffer
contents like this:

Enter File/Folder to load: [Hello]

so you can see the minibuffer at all times.  Where has this cool
feature gone?  is the feature in later versions of emacs.
I tried to install a later version of emacs but the sudo apt-get
install emacs told me that my version is already the most up to
date version.

* Re: Where has this cool feature gone?
@ 2022-07-23  6:57 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-07-23  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 16:28:50 +1200
>
> When you are typing text into the minibuffer, some times some
> other code like dmp-post-command-hook displays the text "Hello"
> in the minibuffer so you can't see what text you are typing into
> the minibuffer and you have to wait about 5 seconds for the
> message to disappear, revealing the minibuffer of the code
> you were typing into the minibuffer.
>
> In a more up to date (I am using emacs-version 26.3) version of
> Emacs it displays the Hello message beside the minibuffer
> contents like this:
>
> Enter File/Folder to load: [Hello]
>
> so you can see the minibuffer at all times.  Where has this cool
> feature gone?  is the feature in later versions of emacs.
> I tried to install a later version of emacs but the sudo apt-get
> install emacs told me that my version is already the most up to
> date version.

This is a new feature in Emacs 28.