* trunk r117870 -> emacs-24
@ 2014-09-15  9:16 Dmitry Antipov
From: Dmitry Antipov @ 2014-09-15  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

Please consider changes from trunk revision 117870 for emacs-24 branch.
Without that, the latter is not immune against the following crashes
(64-bit only):

;; crash - overflow in font_parse_family_registry
(defun oops0 ()
   (let* ((size 2200000000)
          (s (make-string size 97)))
     (aset s 0 42)
     (aset s 1000 45)
     (x-family-fonts s)))

;; crash - overflow in make_temp_name
(defun oops1 ()
   (make-temp-name (make-string 2200000000 97)))

Dmitry

* Re: trunk r117870 -> emacs-24
@ 2014-09-15 12:58 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-09-15 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Antipov; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

> Please consider changes from trunk revision 117870 for emacs-24 branch.
> Without that, the latter is not immune against the following crashes

Looks like a long-standing bug, so there's no urgency to fix it.

* Re: trunk r117870 -> emacs-24
@ 2014-09-15 15:04   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-09-15 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: dmantipov, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 08:58:15 -0400
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > Please consider changes from trunk revision 117870 for emacs-24 branch.
> > Without that, the latter is not immune against the following crashes
>
> Looks like a long-standing bug, so there's no urgency to fix it.

OTOH, I have hard time imagining any problems this fix could cause
that aren't already there: it just widens a couple of integer data
types.

So IMO this should go into the branch: the fix is simple, and the
benefits are substantial.

* Re: trunk r117870 -> emacs-24
@ 2014-09-15 19:10     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-09-15 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: dmantipov, emacs-devel

>> > Please consider changes from trunk revision 117870 for emacs-24 branch.
>> > Without that, the latter is not immune against the following crashes
>> Looks like a long-standing bug, so there's no urgency to fix it.
> OTOH, I have hard time imagining any problems this fix could cause
> that aren't already there: it just widens a couple of integer data
> types.
> So IMO this should go into the branch: the fix is simple, and the
> benefits are substantial.

Fine by me.  I didn't look at the actual patch.

* Re: trunk r117870 -> emacs-24
@ 2014-09-15 19:47       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-09-15 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: dmantipov, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: dmantipov@yandex.ru,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:10:11 -0400

> >> Looks like a long-standing bug, so there's no urgency to fix it.
> > OTOH, I have hard time imagining any problems this fix could cause
> > that aren't already there: it just widens a couple of integer data
> > types.
> > So IMO this should go into the branch: the fix is simple, and the
> > benefits are substantial.
>
> Fine by me.  I didn't look at the actual patch.

Thanks.

Dmitry, please do.