* Support for explicitly resetting the idle timer?
@ 2021-11-27  7:54 Campbell Barton
From: Campbell Barton @ 2021-11-27  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Hi, I've run into a situation where being able to reset the idle time is
needed. As far as I can tell there is no way to do this at the moment.
So I'm writing to check if a patch to support this is likely to be
considered.

To give some context for how I ended up needing this, the motivation for
this is noted below.

Motivation
==========

There is a package I use/maintain which implements something like
Firefox's auto-scroll (click-drag to scroll up/down) [0].

An issue with this is (unlike mouse wheel scrolling) using track-mouse
doesn't handle keyboard events in a way that resets the idle timer.

So while scrolling, idle timers may run (which can cause visible
stuttering).

I've worked around this by locally let binding `timer-idle-list` to nil,
however this back-fires if any timers are added while scrolling (rare
but possible), workarounds for this are possible - but they involve
clearing the list while scrolling then moving the contents into the real
`timer-idle-list` list... which as far as I can see is quite error
prone, especially if packages are inspecting the contents of this list.

All this complexity could be avoided if the function `timer_stop_idle`
in ./src/keyboard.c was exposed to elisp, this way scripts that use
mouse input could explicitly reset the idle timer on mouse based
user-interaction (when it makes sense).

Other solutions could work too (perhaps something specific to
`track-mouse`), but I think having a way to reset the idle timer is most
straightforward.

[0]: https://gitlab.com/ideasman42/emacs-scroll-on-drag