* Making vertical-border char defcustom?
@ 2020-01-19 14:13 Paul W. Rankin
From: Paul W. Rankin @ 2020-01-19 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Would anyone be open to adding a defcustom for the vertical-border
slot in standard-display-table?

In the past I've been using the following...

   (defun prettify-vertical-border (&optional dummy)
     (ignore dummy)
     (set-display-table-slot
      (or buffer-display-table standard-display-table)
        'vertical-border ?│))

   (when (not window-system)
     (add-hook 'window-configuration-change-hook
               'prettify-vertical-border)
     (add-hook 'change-major-mode-hook
               'prettify-vertical-border))

However the problem with this approach is that some major/minor-modes
set their own overriding display-table... I think help-mode or
special-mode...

This would make Emacs look a lot prettier on UTF-8 consoles, as
currently the 0x7C (vertical bar) default does not create a solid
vertical line with most fonts.

Thoughts?

--
Paul W. Rankin