* Emacs (@HEAD) describe-mode etc very slow
@ 2021-06-26  2:13 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2021-06-26  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have approx 100+ packages loaded into emacs from elpa -- but that's
how it's always been.

However in the recent past --- from memory perhaps the last 6+ weeks,
both C-h m (describe-mode) and C-h b have become *very slow*.

I toggled debug on quit while describe-mode was churning away -- and
here is what I see:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
  (where-is-internal scroll-up-command)
  (#f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x81bd4fbcffcb2b7>) emacspeak-owindow-scroll-up)
  (mapatoms #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x81bd4fbcffcb2b7>))
  (help-fns--list-local-commands)
  (#f(compiled-function (&optional buffer) "Display documentation of current major mode and minor modes.\nA brief summary of the minor modes comes first, followed by the\nmajor mode description.  This is followed by detailed\ndescriptions of the minor modes, each on a separate page.\n\nFor this to work correctly for a minor mode, the mode's indicator\nvariable (listed in `minor-mode-alist') must also be a function\nwhose documentation describes the minor mode.\n\nIf called from Lisp with a non-nil BUFFER argument, display\ndocumentation for the major and minor modes of that buffer." (interactive "@") #<bytecode -0x1ad3f67298aa014d>) nil)
  (ad-Advice-describe-mode #f(compiled-function (&optional buffer) "Display documentation of current major mode and minor modes.\nA brief summary of the minor modes comes first, followed by the\nmajor mode description.  This is followed by detailed\ndescriptions of the minor modes, each on a separate page.\n\nFor this to work correctly for a minor mode, the mode's indicator\nvariable (listed in `minor-mode-alist') must also be a function\nwhose documentation describes the minor mode.\n\nIf called from Lisp with a non-nil BUFFER argument, display\ndocumentation for the major and minor modes of that buffer." (interactive "@") #<bytecode -0x1ad3f67298aa014d>))
  (apply ad-Advice-describe-mode #f(compiled-function (&optional buffer) "Display documentation of current major mode and minor modes.\nA brief summary of the minor modes comes first, followed by the\nmajor mode description.  This is followed by detailed\ndescriptions of the minor modes, each on a separate page.\n\nFor this to work correctly for a minor mode, the mode's indicator\nvariable (listed in `minor-mode-alist') must also be a function\nwhose documentation describes the minor mode.\n\nIf called from Lisp with a non-nil BUFFER argument, display\ndocumentation for the major and minor modes of that buffer." (interactive "@") #<bytecode -0x1ad3f67298aa014d>) nil)
  (describe-mode)
  (#<subr funcall-interactively> describe-mode)
  (apply #<subr funcall-interactively> describe-mode nil)
  (ad-Advice-funcall-interactively #<subr funcall-interactively> describe-mode)
  (apply ad-Advice-funcall-interactively #<subr funcall-interactively> describe-mode)
  (funcall-interactively describe-mode)
  (#<subr call-interactively> describe-mode nil nil)
  (ad-Advice-call-interactively #<subr call-interactively> describe-mode nil nil)
  (apply ad-Advice-call-interactively #<subr call-interactively> (describe-mode nil nil))
  (#f(advice-wrapper :around #<subr call-interactively> ad-Advice-call-interactively) describe-mode nil nil)
  (apply #f(advice-wrapper :around #<subr call-interactively> ad-Advice-call-interactively) describe-mode (nil nil))
  (call-interactively@ido-cr+-record-current-command #f(advice-wrapper :around #<subr call-interactively> ad-Advice-call-interactively) describe-mode nil nil)
  (apply call-interactively@ido-cr+-record-current-command #f(advice-wrapper :around #<subr call-interactively> ad-Advice-call-interactively) (describe-mode nil nil))
  (call-interactively describe-mode nil nil)
  (command-execute describe-mode)

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: Emacs (@HEAD) describe-mode etc very slow
@ 2021-06-26  6:12 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-06-26  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 19:13:46 -0700
>
> I have approx 100+ packages loaded into emacs from elpa -- but that's
> how it's always been.
>
> However in the recent past --- from memory perhaps the last 6+ weeks,
> both C-h m (describe-mode) and C-h b have become *very slow*.

This is bug#45379, which is still being worked on.

Thanks.