* PATH_SEPARATOR in test/automated/Makefile.in
@ 2013-11-27 18:33 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-11-27 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

This stuff is not working, and as a consequence the test suite
currently fails on MS-Windows with werdo error messages about failure
to load Lisp files.

The problem is that (a) @PATH_SEPARATOR@ is replaced with ':' (of
course: what else did you think MSYS Bash will use?), and (b) the
automatic replacement of ":." with ";." doesn't happen either, because
evidently the MSYS heuristics doesn't consider "." something that
cannot be anything but a file name, so it plays safe and leaves it
alone (":./" does work).

So the possibilities as I see them are:

 . Remove PATH_SEPARATOR and use -L "$(PATH_SEPARATOR)$(srcdir)/"
   (with a slash) instead of  -L "$(PATH_SEPARATOR)$(srcdir)"

 . Leave PATH_SEPARATOR, but set it to ';' "manually" for MinGW,
   instead of relying on $PATH_SEPARATOR computed in configure by
   asking Bash.

Meanwhile, to run the test suite on Windows, say

   make PATH_SEPARATOR=';'

* Re: PATH_SEPARATOR in test/automated/Makefile.in
@ 2013-11-27 18:42 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-11-27 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> The problem is that (a) @PATH_SEPARATOR@ is replaced with ':' (of
> course: what else did you think MSYS Bash will use?),

You greatly overestimate my knowledge of and interest in MSYS Bash. ;)

> and (b) the automatic replacement of ":." with ";." doesn't happen
> either, because evidently the MSYS heuristics doesn't consider "."
> something that cannot be anything but a file name, so it plays safe
> and leaves it alone (":./" does work).

OK, err, ok. AFAIK, I just did what you told me to in

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15933#14

and subsequent. How come

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15933#47

said it worked then? (Ah, he uses an out-of-tree build, so his $srcdir
contains a "/".)

> So the possibilities as I see them are:
>
>  . Remove PATH_SEPARATOR and use -L "$(PATH_SEPARATOR)$(srcdir)/"
>    (with a slash) instead of  -L "$(PATH_SEPARATOR)$(srcdir)"

Seems a bit flaky to me.

>  . Leave PATH_SEPARATOR, but set it to ';' "manually" for MinGW,
>    instead of relying on $PATH_SEPARATOR computed in configure by
>    asking Bash.

Sounds better to me (assuming you mean making up some new variable,
rather than modifiying PATH_SEPARATOR, in case that inadvertently breaks
something else that's using it).

But please do whatever you think is best. Obviously I keep getting it
wrong.

* Re: PATH_SEPARATOR in test/automated/Makefile.in
@ 2013-11-28 17:43   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-11-28 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 13:42:55 -0500
>
> > So the possibilities as I see them are:
> >
> >  . Remove PATH_SEPARATOR and use -L "$(PATH_SEPARATOR)$(srcdir)/"
> >    (with a slash) instead of  -L "$(PATH_SEPARATOR)$(srcdir)"
>
> Seems a bit flaky to me.
>
> >  . Leave PATH_SEPARATOR, but set it to ';' "manually" for MinGW,
> >    instead of relying on $PATH_SEPARATOR computed in configure by
> >    asking Bash.
>
> Sounds better to me (assuming you mean making up some new variable,
> rather than modifiying PATH_SEPARATOR, in case that inadvertently breaks
> something else that's using it).

Done in trunk revision 115267.