* C-u C-x = prints garbage for a text property with value '(string . ?")
@ 2016-03-08 22:08 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2016-03-08 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello, Emacs.

In master (probably in emacs-25, too), give a character a text property
with value (string . ?").  When `describe-property-list' (descr-text.el)
comes to print it, it decides that (string . ?") is a "widget" (whatever
that is), and instead of printing the actual value, it ignores the cdr
and prints the car as follows:

    string (widget)Top

It decides that 'string is a "widget" because the symbol string has a
widget-type property.

This is crazy!  If somebody does C-u C-x = to see the value of the text
properties, surely that is what she should see?  Not some "look how
clever I am" DWIM attempt that only prints half of the value?

I don't see the logic in this handling, therefore don't feel qualified
to fix this bug.  Would somebody help me out, please.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: C-u C-x = prints garbage for a text property with value '(string . ?")
@ 2016-03-09  3:36 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-03-09  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 22:08:57 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> In master (probably in emacs-25, too), give a character a text property
> with value (string . ?").  When `describe-property-list' (descr-text.el)
> comes to print it, it decides that (string . ?") is a "widget" (whatever
> that is), and instead of printing the actual value, it ignores the cdr
> and prints the car as follows:
>
>     string (widget)Top
>
> It decides that 'string is a "widget" because the symbol string has a
> widget-type property.
>
> This is crazy!  If somebody does C-u C-x = to see the value of the text
> properties, surely that is what she should see?  Not some "look how
> clever I am" DWIM attempt that only prints half of the value?
>
> I don't see the logic in this handling, therefore don't feel qualified
> to fix this bug.  Would somebody help me out, please.

Please make a complete bug report with a recipe to reproduce it.