* HTML-formatted NEWS for Emacs 29
@ 2023-08-06 11:05 Peter Oliver
From: Peter Oliver @ 2023-08-06 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

At https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.28.html, there’s the Emacs 29 NEWS formatted as a webpage.  Will there be similar for Emacs 29?  At the moment, there’s just an Org file at https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.29.1, which isn’t as pleasant to read or as convenient to link to a particular section.

--
Peter Oliver

* Re: HTML-formatted NEWS for Emacs 29
@ 2023-08-06 11:37 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-08-06 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Oliver, stefankangas; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 12:05:26 +0100 (BST)
> From: Peter Oliver <p.d.oliver@mavit.org.uk>
>
> At https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.28.html, there’s the Emacs 29 NEWS formatted as a webpage.  Will there be similar for Emacs 29?  At the moment, there’s just an Org file at https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.29.1, which isn’t as pleasant to read or as convenient to link to a particular section.

We never had HTML-formatted NEWS file on the Emacs Web page.  There
are no procedures to produce one that I'm aware of (at least the
procedure for releasing Emacs, documented in admin/make-tarball.txt,
doesn't mention that, it only says to copy the NEWS file itself to the
"webpages" CVS repository, which is then uploaded to the Web server).

According to CVS log, NEWS.28.html was added by Stefan Kangas (CC'ed).
If Stefan can share the procedure he used to generate that file, and
if that procedure is practical enough to be added to make-tarball.txt,
we will follow it from now on.  Alternatively, if Someone wants to
volunteer to prepare such a file, I will upload it.

(The existing NEWS file for Emacs 29.1, linked from the Emacs Web
page, is not an Org file, it is the same NEWS file included in the
Emacs distribution and available in the Git repository.)

* Re: HTML-formatted NEWS for Emacs 29
@ 2023-09-02 18:49   ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-09-02 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Peter Oliver; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 12:05:26 +0100 (BST)
>> From: Peter Oliver <p.d.oliver@mavit.org.uk>
>>
>> At https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.28.html, there’s the Emacs 29 NEWS formatted as a webpage.  Will there be similar for Emacs 29?  At the moment, there’s just an Org file at https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.29.1, which isn’t as pleasant to read or as convenient to link to a particular section.
>
> We never had HTML-formatted NEWS file on the Emacs Web page.  There
> are no procedures to produce one that I'm aware of (at least the
> procedure for releasing Emacs, documented in admin/make-tarball.txt,
> doesn't mention that, it only says to copy the NEWS file itself to the
> "webpages" CVS repository, which is then uploaded to the Web server).
>
> According to CVS log, NEWS.28.html was added by Stefan Kangas (CC'ed).
> If Stefan can share the procedure he used to generate that file, and
> if that procedure is practical enough to be added to make-tarball.txt,
> we will follow it from now on.  Alternatively, if Someone wants to
> volunteer to prepare such a file, I will upload it.
>
> (The existing NEWS file for Emacs 29.1, linked from the Emacs Web
> page, is not an Org file, it is the same NEWS file included in the
> Emacs distribution and available in the Git repository.)

The code is already on the emacs-29 branch.  Here are the instructions:

    cd $EMACS_RELEASE_DIR
    ./src/emacs -l admin/admin.el -f make-news-html-file
    mv etc/NEWS.XX.Y.html $EMACS_WEBROOT/news
    cd $EMACS_WEBROOT
    cvs commit -m "Update NEWS.XX.Y.html" news/NEWS.XX.Y.html

Please see `make-news-html-file' in admin/admin.el for more details.

If it is considered useful, we could indeed consider adding these
instructions to admin/make-tarball.txt.

* Re: HTML-formatted NEWS for Emacs 29
@ 2023-09-02 19:02     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-09-02 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: p.d.oliver, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 11:49:35 -0700
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > We never had HTML-formatted NEWS file on the Emacs Web page.  There
> > are no procedures to produce one that I'm aware of (at least the
> > procedure for releasing Emacs, documented in admin/make-tarball.txt,
> > doesn't mention that, it only says to copy the NEWS file itself to the
> > "webpages" CVS repository, which is then uploaded to the Web server).
> >
> > According to CVS log, NEWS.28.html was added by Stefan Kangas (CC'ed).
> > If Stefan can share the procedure he used to generate that file, and
> > if that procedure is practical enough to be added to make-tarball.txt,
> > we will follow it from now on.  Alternatively, if Someone wants to
> > volunteer to prepare such a file, I will upload it.
> >
> > (The existing NEWS file for Emacs 29.1, linked from the Emacs Web
> > page, is not an Org file, it is the same NEWS file included in the
> > Emacs distribution and available in the Git repository.)
>
> The code is already on the emacs-29 branch.  Here are the instructions:
>
>     cd $EMACS_RELEASE_DIR
>     ./src/emacs -l admin/admin.el -f make-news-html-file
>     mv etc/NEWS.XX.Y.html $EMACS_WEBROOT/news
>     cd $EMACS_WEBROOT
>     cvs commit -m "Update NEWS.XX.Y.html" news/NEWS.XX.Y.html
>
> Please see `make-news-html-file' in admin/admin.el for more details.
>
> If it is considered useful, we could indeed consider adding these
> instructions to admin/make-tarball.txt.

Yes, I think we should.