* abbrev definition (manual)
@ 2017-07-25 23:18 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-07-25 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I find the manual explanation for the definition of an abbrev confusing:

The usual way to define an abbrev is to enter the text you want the abbrev to expand to, position point after it, and type C-x a g (add-global-abbrev). This reads the abbrev itself using the minibuffer, and then defines it as an abbrev for one or more words before point. Use a numeric argument to say how many words before point should be taken as the expansion. For example, to define the abbrev ‘foo’ as mentioned above, insert the text ‘find outer otter’ and then type C-u 3 C-x a g f o o RET.

What about that:

The usual way to define an abbrev is to enter the text you want the abbrev to expand to, position point after it, and type C-x a g (add-global-abbrev).  Use a numeric argument to say how many words before point should be taken as the expansion.  This prompts for the abbrev itself in the minibuffer, and then defines it as an abbrev for the words specified before point.  For example, to define the abbrev 'foo' as mentioned above, insert the text 'find outer otter' and then type C-u 3 C-x a g f o o RET.

Jean-Christophe

* Re: abbrev definition (manual)
@ 2017-07-26  7:00 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2017-07-26  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dear Jean-Christophe,

    > The usual way to define an abbrev is to enter the
    > text you want the abbrev to expand to, position
    > point after it, and type C-x a g
    > (add-global-abbrev).  Use a numeric argument to say
    > how many words before point should be taken as the
    > expansion.  This prompts for the abbrev itself in
    > the minibuffer, and then defines it as an abbrev
    > for the words specified before point.  For example,
    > to define the abbrev 'foo' as mentioned above,
    > insert the text 'find outer otter' and then type
    > C-u 3 C-x a g f o o RET.

For me, this is a great improvement over the original.

What do you think of the idea of mentioning the use of the universal
argument C-u, if only as a reminder for newbies like myself? I suppose
that my suggestion might not conform to the way manuals are written.

Best wishes,
Colin.

Colin Baxter
m43cap@yandex.com
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8

* Re: abbrev definition (manual)
@ 2017-07-26 14:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-07-26 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 08:18:46 +0900
>
> I find the manual explanation for the definition of an abbrev confusing:
>
> The usual way to define an abbrev is to enter the text you want the abbrev to expand to, position point after it, and type C-x a g (add-global-abbrev). This reads the abbrev itself using the minibuffer, and then defines it as an abbrev for one or more words before point. Use a numeric argument to say how many words before point should be taken as the expansion. For example, to define the abbrev ‘foo’ as mentioned above, insert the text ‘find outer otter’ and then type C-u 3 C-x a g f o o RET.
>
> What about that:
>
> The usual way to define an abbrev is to enter the text you want the abbrev to expand to, position point after it, and type C-x a g (add-global-abbrev).  Use a numeric argument to say how many words before point should be taken as the expansion.  This prompts for the abbrev itself in the minibuffer, and then defines it as an abbrev for the words specified before point.  For example, to define the abbrev 'foo' as mentioned above, insert the text 'find outer otter' and then type C-u 3 C-x a g f o o RET.

I find them both equivalent, so I'm not sure what part of the original
confused you.  Was that the "reads ... using the minibuffer" part?