* Bootstrap time on MS-Windows (was: Two strange messages while building Emacs on MS-Windows)
@ 2012-12-08 11:17 Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2012-12-08 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> How much time does it take you to bootstrap, btw?  And on what
> machine?

For the record: on my laptop (Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz), these
are the times of a "mingw32-make -j8 bootstrap"  (preceded by a
"mingw32-make distclean" + "configure ..."):
* emacs-24 branch --> 30 min. 42 sec.
* trunk --> 29 min. 41 sec.

C:\emacs>mingw32-make --version
GNU Make 3.82.90

C:\emacs>gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.7.2

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, because these times seem too large.

--
Dani Moncayo

* Re: Bootstrap time on MS-Windows
@ 2012-12-08 11:38 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2012-12-08 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dani Moncayo <dmoncayo@gmail.com> writes:

> For the record: on my laptop (Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz), these
> are the times of a "mingw32-make -j8 bootstrap"  (preceded by a
> "mingw32-make distclean" + "configure ..."):
> * emacs-24 branch --> 30 min. 42 sec.
> * trunk --> 29 min. 41 sec.
>
> C:\emacs>mingw32-make --version
> GNU Make 3.82.90
>
> C:\emacs>gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 4.7.2
>

> I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, because these times seem too large.

Several months passed since the last time I tried, but never found a
port of `make' to MS Windows with a working -j feature.

IIRC -j depends on the presence of certain shared library, if it is
absent -j will be silently ignored.

* Re: Bootstrap time on MS-Windows (was: Two strange messages while building Emacs on MS-Windows)
@ 2012-12-08 12:36 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-12-08 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dani Moncayo; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 12:17:39 +0100
> From: Dani Moncayo <dmoncayo@gmail.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > How much time does it take you to bootstrap, btw?  And on what
> > machine?
>
> For the record: on my laptop (Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz), these
> are the times of a "mingw32-make -j8 bootstrap"  (preceded by a
> "mingw32-make distclean" + "configure ..."):
> * emacs-24 branch --> 30 min. 42 sec.
> * trunk --> 29 min. 41 sec.
>
> C:\emacs>mingw32-make --version
> GNU Make 3.82.90
>
> C:\emacs>gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 4.7.2

Core i5 has only 2 cores, so "-j5" seems to be more appropriate.
Eventually, only testing will tell, since memory and disk speed are
also factors.

And yes, GCC 4.7.2 takes twice as long as my ancient 3.4.4.  But I
still think you can do better than 31 min.

* Re: Bootstrap time on MS-Windows
@ 2012-12-08 12:42   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-12-08 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 12:38:25 +0100
>
> Several months passed since the last time I tried, but never found a
> port of `make' to MS Windows with a working -j feature.

Only the CVS builds of Make support that, there wasn't yet a single
official GNU Make release with this feature.

> IIRC -j depends on the presence of certain shared library, if it is
> absent -j will be silently ignored.

Do you mean libpthread?

Anyway, that's false on Windows.  No extra libraries are needed except
those present out of the box on any Windows system.