* Added support for Unicode file names on MS-Windows.
@ 2013-12-12 18:31 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-12-12 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Starting with trunk revision 115490, Emacs on Windows can access files
whose names include characters outside of the current ANSI codepage.
This has been the subject of several bug reports in the past.

People who are interested in technical details are invited to read the
large commentary around line 1300 in w32.c.  In a nutshell, Emacs on
MS-Windows now pretends that file names are encoded in UTF-8, and does
whatever conversions are necessary in functions that replace or are
wrappers around C library functions which accept file-name arguments.

Please report any bugs these changes introduced.

Many thanks to Ken Brown who generously used some of his time to find
and report my bugs which would have otherwise broken the Cygwin build.

Enjoy.

* Re: Added support for Unicode file names on MS-Windows.
@ 2013-12-12 20:21 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-12-12 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Starting with trunk revision 115490, Emacs on Windows can access files
> whose names include characters outside of the current ANSI codepage.
> This has been the subject of several bug reports in the past.

Great, thank you very much Eli,

* Re: Added support for Unicode file names on MS-Windows.
@ 2013-12-13 10:11 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2013-12-13 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Starting with trunk revision 115490, Emacs on Windows can access files
> whose names include characters outside of the current ANSI codepage.
> This has been the subject of several bug reports in the past.

Gets my vote for patch of the year (on Windows, at least)!

Many thanks, martin

* Re: Added support for Unicode file names on MS-Windows.
@ 2013-12-13 10:48   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-12-13 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 11:11:59 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Starting with trunk revision 115490, Emacs on Windows can access files
> > whose names include characters outside of the current ANSI codepage.
> > This has been the subject of several bug reports in the past.
>
> Gets my vote for patch of the year (on Windows, at least)!

Thanks.  But I would reserve my judgment at least until we see that no
significant breakage was caused by these invasive changes.

(My testing was as thorough as I could afford, but my Windows machines
are always configured for a single-byte locale with US English as the
default language, so I have no real-life use cases for working with
non-ASCII directories, let alone those outside of the locale's
codepage.)

* RE: Added support for Unicode file names on MS-Windows.
@ 2013-12-13 14:55   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-12-13 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics, Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> > Starting with trunk revision 115490, Emacs on Windows can access files
> > whose names include characters outside of the current ANSI codepage.
> > This has been the subject of several bug reports in the past.
>
> Gets my vote for patch of the year (on Windows, at least)!
> Many thanks, martin

+1