* Outdated comment in eval.c?
       [not found] <87h7ee3b7d.fsf.ref@yahoo.com>
@ 2021-09-21  2:37 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-09-21  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

At line 367 of eval.c, I see the following comment:

/* NOTE!!! Every function that can call EVAL must protect its args
   and temporaries from garbage collection while it needs them.
   The definition of `For' shows what you have to do.  */

But GCPRO has been gone for a long time, as Emacs now exclusively use
conservative stack marking.

Would it be prudent to remove this comment?

* Re: Outdated comment in eval.c?
@ 2021-09-21  6:18   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-09-21  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 10:37:58 +0800
>
> At line 367 of eval.c, I see the following comment:
>
> /* NOTE!!! Every function that can call EVAL must protect its args
>    and temporaries from garbage collection while it needs them.
>    The definition of `For' shows what you have to do.  */
>
> But GCPRO has been gone for a long time, as Emacs now exclusively use
> conservative stack marking.
>
> Would it be prudent to remove this comment?

The issue is still valid, although it's now more subtle, and 'For' is
no longer a useful reference.  GC can relocate buffers text and string
data, so the issue nowadays is to be careful with C 'char *' pointers
to buffer text and string data, and recompute them after every call to
a function that might trigger a GC.

I will see how to reword the comment, and will probably move it to
another place, where it is more pertinent.

* Re: Outdated comment in eval.c?
@ 2021-09-22  7:09     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-09-22  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luangruo; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 09:18:27 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> The issue is still valid, although it's now more subtle, and 'For' is
> no longer a useful reference.  GC can relocate buffers text and string
> data, so the issue nowadays is to be careful with C 'char *' pointers
> to buffer text and string data, and recompute them after every call to
> a function that might trigger a GC.
>
> I will see how to reword the comment, and will probably move it to
> another place, where it is more pertinent.

Now done.