* Emacs and the static flag in the windows build
@ 2023-01-06 23:31 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2023-01-06 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Maybe you remember that this script: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/admin/nt/dist-build/build-zips.sh use the '-static' in the build.

Now, a recent upgrade on MSYS2 has broken this. Maybe someone of you could be interested to this discussion with MSYS2 people:

https://github.com/msys2/MINGW-packages/issues/14799#issue-1514148019

Ciao,
 Angelo.

* Re: Emacs and the static flag in the windows build
@ 2023-01-07  6:49 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-01-07  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 00:31:12 +0100 (CET)
> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it>
>
> Maybe you remember that this script: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/admin/nt/dist-build/build-zips.sh use the '-static' in the build.
>
> Now, a recent upgrade on MSYS2 has broken this. Maybe someone of you could be interested to this discussion with MSYS2 people:
>
> https://github.com/msys2/MINGW-packages/issues/14799#issue-1514148019

If the static library for GMP (or any other library you configure
Emacs to link against) is not available, using -static is bound to
fail.

The script you mention is for preparing the Emacs binaries that we
offer on the GNU FTP site, it is not the officially recommended way of
building Emacs for your own use.  AFAIR, we use -static to avoid the
dependency on pthreads or something.  Maybe that problem no longer
exists?

And I'm not sure I understand why MSYS2 no longer provides a static
library for GMP, maybe ask them to reconsider?