* Use emacs-29 or master branch to contribute mix of bug fixes and new features?
@ 2023-05-21 14:26 Jens Schmidt
From: Jens Schmidt @ 2023-05-21 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I'm planning for some changes in plstore.el, in the context of this thread:

   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2023-05/msg00327.html

Some of the changes go rather into the "cleanup" category (extending
commentary, providing tests), some into "bug fix" category, and some
into "new feature".

I will provide these as separate commits as far as easily possible, but
at least I wanted to keep them on one branch while developing them.
Where should I start that off: emacs-29 or master?

It probably does not matter much for plstore.el, which seems to be
rather stable, but is there some general guideline for such "mixed type
commits"?  The information in file CONTRIBUTE does not seem to mention
this case.

Thanks

Jens

* Re: Use emacs-29 or master branch to contribute mix of bug fixes and new features?
@ 2023-05-21 14:33 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-05-21 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Schmidt; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 16:26:46 +0200
> From: Jens Schmidt <jschmidt4gnu@vodafonemail.de>
>
> I'm planning for some changes in plstore.el, in the context of this thread:
>
>    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2023-05/msg00327.html
>
> Some of the changes go rather into the "cleanup" category (extending
> commentary, providing tests), some into "bug fix" category, and some
> into "new feature".
>
> I will provide these as separate commits as far as easily possible, but
> at least I wanted to keep them on one branch while developing them.
> Where should I start that off: emacs-29 or master?

Please do this on master.  These are new features, so they are not
appropriate for the release branch.

Thanks.

> It probably does not matter much for plstore.el, which seems to be
> rather stable, but is there some general guideline for such "mixed type
> commits"?  The information in file CONTRIBUTE does not seem to mention
> this case.

If there are bug fixes, please show them separately, and please
explain what bug each fix fixes.  Then we'll take it from there.

(There's no need to describe such cases in CONTRIBUTE, since each type
of change should be handled separately.)