* specifying pure space without editing puresize.h
@ 2012-10-02  7:25 Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2012-10-02  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs devel

I got this warning after building trunk yesterday:

Building Emacs overflowed pure space

I read the corresponding info page but I am not willing to edit
src/puresize.h. My build script does a bzr revert and will toss the
change away.

Could we make a configure option? Or maybe a variable used by make?
--
Ivan Kanis, Release Manager, Vision Objects,
Tel +33 2 28 01 84 44,  Fax +33 2 40 25 89 20

Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as
kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic
pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.
    -- Kristian Wilson

I am listening to "Robyn - U Should Know Better".

* specifying pure space without editing puresize.h
@ 2012-10-02  7:44 ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2012-10-02  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: emacs devel

Ivan Kanis writes:

 > Building Emacs overflowed pure space

It is knowable (and perhaps known to the build process already) how
much overflow there was.  XEmacs just builds the executable twice,
once with an approximate figure, and then with an exact one based on a
report from the first build.  Can't recall any problems with it, and
it's only a few extra seconds on a modern machine.

* Re: specifying pure space without editing puresize.h
@ 2012-10-02 12:36 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2012-10-02 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Ivan Kanis

Ivan Kanis <ivan.kanis@googlemail.com> writes:

> I got this warning after building trunk yesterday:
>
> Building Emacs overflowed pure space
>
> I read the corresponding info page but I am not willing to edit
> src/puresize.h. My build script does a bzr revert and will toss the
> change away.
>
> Could we make a configure option? Or maybe a variable used by make?

This was posted two days ago:

@ 2012-10-02 17:52   ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2012-10-02 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs devel

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:

> Ivan Kanis <ivan.kanis@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Building Emacs overflowed pure space
>
> This was posted two days ago:

I didn't see it. Thank you!
--
Ivan Kanis
http://ivan.kanis.fr

@ 2012-10-03  7:59   ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2012-10-03  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:

> This was posted two days ago:
>
> Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

>>> Enlarge BASE_PURESIZE in puresize.h until the warning goes away.
>>
>> …or call configure with '-DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=some_number' added to
>> CFLAGS.

May it should be documented in the relevant info node?
--
Ivan Kanis, Release Manager, Vision Objects,
Tel +33 2 28 01 84 44,  Fax +33 2 40 25 89 20
http://www.visionobjects.com

I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable.  There
is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect.
    -- Oscar Wilde

I am listening to "Public Enemy - Revolutionary Generation".

* Re: specifying pure space without editing puresize.h
@ 2012-10-03  8:46     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-10-03  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Ivan Kanis writes:
>>> …or call configure with '-DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=some_number' added to
>>> CFLAGS.

There's also '-DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=some_number'

> May it should be documented in the relevant info node?

If anything there should be a proper configure option for these rather
than having to swing the big hammer and overwrite all of CFLAGS.  I've
only known about these options since the openSUSE build script uses
those flags and I have copied it from there.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: specifying pure space without editing puresize.h
@ 2012-10-03 17:25     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-10-03 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: ofv, emacs-devel

> From: Ivan Kanis <ivan.kanis@googlemail.com>
> Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 09:59:33 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:
>
> > This was posted two days ago:
> >
> > Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> >> …or call configure with '-DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=some_number' added to
> >> CFLAGS.
> >

> May it should be documented in the relevant info node?

What for?  These are temporary situations that exist until the Emacs
maintainers get their act together and enlarge the size of the pure
storage.  This happens once in a year or two, so I see nothing
important enough to document here, no more than we should be
documenting gazillions of other similar knobs in our headers.

* Re: specifying pure space without editing puresize.h
@ 2012-10-03 17:31       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-10-03 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
> Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 10:46:36 +0200

> There's also '-DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=some_number'
>
> > May it should be documented in the relevant info node?
>
> If anything there should be a proper configure option for these rather
> than having to swing the big hammer and overwrite all of CFLAGS.  I've
> only known about these options since the openSUSE build script uses
> those flags and I have copied it from there.

You should not need about these options at all.  They are maintainer
only options.

* Re: specifying pure space without editing puresize.h
@ 2012-10-03 19:50       ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2012-10-03 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: ofv, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Ivan Kanis <ivan.kanis@googlemail.com>
>> Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 09:59:33 +0200
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:
>>
>> > This was posted two days ago:

>> May it should be documented in the relevant info node?
>
> What for?  These are temporary situations that exist until the Emacs
> maintainers get their act together and enlarge the size of the pure
> storage.  This happens once in a year or two, so I see nothing
> important enough to document here, no more than we should be
> documenting gazillions of other similar knobs in our headers.

I was looking for the information. Someone else might. Isn't what the
documentation is for?
--
Ivan Kanis
http://ivan.kanis.fr

Predictability: does the flap of a butterfly's wings in Brazil set off
a tornado in Texas?
    -- Edward N. Lorenz

* Re: specifying pure space without editing puresize.h
@ 2012-10-03 20:29         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-10-03 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: ofv, emacs-devel

> From: Ivan Kanis <ivan.kanis@googlemail.com>
> Cc: ofv@wanadoo.es,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 21:50:02 +0200
>
> >> May it should be documented in the relevant info node?
> >
> > What for?  These are temporary situations that exist until the Emacs
> > maintainers get their act together and enlarge the size of the pure
> > storage.  This happens once in a year or two, so I see nothing
> > important enough to document here, no more than we should be
> > documenting gazillions of other similar knobs in our headers.
>
> I was looking for the information. Someone else might. Isn't what the
> documentation is for?

They can always ask here, like you did (or google and find the
answer).  Not every little factoid needs to be in the docs.

* Re: specifying pure space without editing puresize.h
@ 2012-10-04 14:00           ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2012-10-04 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: ofv, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> > What for?  These are temporary situations that exist until the Emacs
>> > maintainers get their act together and enlarge the size of the pure
>> > storage.  This happens once in a year or two, so I see nothing
>> > important enough to document here, no more than we should be
>> > documenting gazillions of other similar knobs in our headers.
>>
>> I was looking for the information. Someone else might. Isn't what the
>> documentation is for?
>
> They can always ask here, like you did (or google and find the
> answer).  Not every little factoid needs to be in the docs.

Fair enough. Now that I have set extra pure size to an obscene amount I
will never see the warning anymore.
--
Ivan Kanis
http://ivan.kanis.fr

If a man should conquer in battle a thousand and a thousand more, and
another man should conquer himself, his would be the greater victory,
because the greatest of victories is the victory over oneself.
    -- Pali Tripitaka