* native-compilation: how to force the .eln files to be built
@ 2021-04-12 22:07 Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2021-04-12 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm just looking at the feature/native-comp branch for the first time, so I
apologize in advance if my question has already been asked and answered.

Is there an easy way to force the .eln files to be built if the .elc files are
up to date?  Here's my use case:

I often have more than one build directory for a given source directory.  The
different build directories might correspond to different configure options or
different architectures, for example.  After building in one directory, the .elc
files in the source directory are all up to date.  If I now build in a different
directory, the .eln files might be out of date or even non-existent, but they
don't get (re)built.

Thanks.

Ken

* Re: native-compilation: how to force the .eln files to be built
@ 2021-04-13  2:30 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-04-13  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
> Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 18:07:53 -0400
>
> Is there an easy way to force the .eln files to be built if the .elc files are
> up to date?

No, at least not for some value of "easy".  (How would you do that for
.elc files?)

> I often have more than one build directory for a given source directory.  The
> different build directories might correspond to different configure options or
> different architectures, for example.  After building in one directory, the .elc
> files in the source directory are all up to date.  If I now build in a different
> directory, the .eln files might be out of date or even non-existent, but they
> don't get (re)built.

I wrote a script that compiles all the preloaded *.el files, and I run
that script in such situations.

* Re: native-compilation: how to force the .eln files to be built
@ 2021-04-13 12:42   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2021-04-13 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> I often have more than one build directory for a given source directory.  The
>> different build directories might correspond to different configure options or
>> different architectures, for example.  After building in one directory, the .elc
>> files in the source directory are all up to date.  If I now build in a different
>> directory, the .eln files might be out of date or even non-existent, but they
>> don't get (re)built.
>
> I wrote a script that compiles all the preloaded *.el files, and I run
> that script in such situations.

Could you share that script?

@ 2021-04-13 13:58     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-04-13 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
> Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 08:42:13 -0400
>
> > I wrote a script that compiles all the preloaded *.el files, and I run
> > that script in such situations.
>
> Could you share that script?

It's just a for-loop which invokes the following command for each Lisp
file:

  emacs -batch -l comp -f batch-byte-native-compile-for-bootstrap

The list of files to run this on is in src/lisp.mk.