* How long have I got?  (For emacs-26 bug fixes.)
@ 2017-12-06 20:26 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2017-12-06 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello, Emacs.

I'm currently awaiting confirmatory feedback from a wonderfully prolific
bug reporter that three CC Mode bugs actually are fixed.

This could arrive tomorrow, but it could take longer.

I would very much like these bugs to be corrected for Emacs 26.  Are
there any plans (secret or not) for a cut off day for bug fixes?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: How long have I got?  (For emacs-26 bug fixes.)
@ 2017-12-06 22:18 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-12-06 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Alan Mackenzie

On December 6, 2017 8:26:43 PM GMT+00:00, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
> Hello, Emacs.
>
> I'm currently awaiting confirmatory feedback from a wonderfully
> prolific
> bug reporter that three CC Mode bugs actually are fixed.
>
> This could arrive tomorrow, but it could take longer.
>
> I would very much like these bugs to be corrected for Emacs 26.  Are
> there any plans (secret or not) for a cut off day for bug fixes?

It depends on the severity of the bug and the risks inherent in the fix.

In general, we still plan one more pretest, so there's time.  Whether a given fix will be deemed safe enough and worth it to be included in Emacs 26 is a case by case decision.

Thanks.

* Re: How long have I got?  (For emacs-26 bug fixes.)
@ 2017-12-06 22:19 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2017-12-06 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-devel

AM> I would very much like these bugs to be corrected for Emacs 26. Are there
AM> any plans (secret or not) for a cut off day for bug fixes?

Eli is visiting family until Friday, so you have at least two days. :)

* Re: How long have I got?  (For emacs-26 bug fixes.)
@ 2017-12-08 11:00   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-12-08 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: acm, emacs-devel

> From: "John Wiegley" <johnw@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 14:19:13 -0800
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli is visiting family until Friday

I wish it were a family visit.  But no, it was business, and quite a
demanding one.

* Re: How long have I got?  (For emacs-26 bug fixes.)
@ 2017-12-12 19:24   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2017-12-12 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello, Eli.

On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 22:18:34 +0000, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> On December 6, 2017 8:26:43 PM GMT+00:00, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
> > Hello, Emacs.

> > I'm currently awaiting confirmatory feedback from a wonderfully
> > prolific
> > bug reporter that three CC Mode bugs actually are fixed.

> > This could arrive tomorrow, but it could take longer.

> > I would very much like these bugs to be corrected for Emacs 26.  Are
> > there any plans (secret or not) for a cut off day for bug fixes?

> It depends on the severity of the bug and the risks inherent in the fix.

> In general, we still plan one more pretest, so there's time.  Whether
> a given fix will be deemed safe enough and worth it to be included in
> Emacs 26 is a case by case decision.

I have heard back from the bug reporter: two of the bugs are fixed, one
is partially fixed.

Here are the three (fixed) bugs:

(i) False fontification of C++ function call as type (partially fixed,
see below).
In the following,

    if ( nullptr == _someVar )
    {
       std::string aStr( isQueued() ? "Send" : "Write" );
       bool someBool = false;
    }

, "isQueued" is being fontified as a type rather than being left
unfontified as the function call it is.

(ii) Misfontified C++ member initialiser list after "throw".
In the following,

 1 #define someNn 1

 3 struct TheClass
 4 {
 5    int theABC, abcMode, theThing, abcConfig;

 7    struct XMLInitFailedException
 8    {
 9       XMLInitFailedException(void) { }
10       ~XMLInitFailedException(void) { }
11    };

13    TheClass( void ) throw( TheClass::XMLInitFailedException )
14    :  theABC( 0 ),
15       abcMode( someNn ),
16       theThing( 0 ),
17       abcConfig( 0 )
18    {
19       // do not do anything!
20    }

22    ~TheClass( void ) { }

24 };

26 int main()
27 {
28    return 0;
29 }

, the initialiser list at L14-17 is being chaotically fontified: L14 has
no face (correct), in L15 "abcMode" has function-face, on L16-17, the
two identifiers have variable-name-face.

(iii) Declaration in a C++ lambda form not fontified.
In the following:

1   struct SomeType { };
2   struct SomeOther { SomeType someMethod(void)const{return SomeType();} };
3   int main()
4   {
5       auto someLambda = [&]( const SomeOther& access )
6                         {
7                             const SomeType& someType = access.someMethod();
8                         };
9   }

, in L7, "SomeType" and "someType" aren't getting fontified at all.

The problem still remaining in (i) is in:

someStruct x ( ( nullptr != x ) ? 3 : 4 );

, the extra parens around "nullptr != x" are causing "someStruct" to
lose its fontification.  I have a suspicion that this is really a
distinct bug.

Two and a half of these bugs are fixed, and I'm confident their risk
level is low.  I would like to commit the fixes to the release branch.
Is that OK?  (Otherwise I will commit them to master.)

--

@ 2017-12-12 19:48     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-12-12 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 19:24:23 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> Two and a half of these bugs are fixed, and I'm confident their risk
> level is low.  I would like to commit the fixes to the release branch.
> Is that OK?  (Otherwise I will commit them to master.)

This is OK for the release branch.

* Re: How long have I got?  (For emacs-26 bug fixes.)
@ 2017-12-14 21:30       ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2017-12-14 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello, Eli.

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 21:48:44 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 19:24:23 +0000
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > Two and a half of these bugs are fixed, and I'm confident their risk
> > level is low.  I would like to commit the fixes to the release branch.
> > Is that OK?  (Otherwise I will commit them to master.)

> This is OK for the release branch.

Thanks!  I've now committed all three of them.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).