* Still about frame title case [Windows]
@ 2018-11-04  9:23 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2018-11-04  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii

More than an year ago we discussed about this (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-05/msg00212.html) but now I notice a strange thing I want to report.

When one manages packages (Options - Manage Emacs Packages), after it has updates the packages list [*], on the frame, near the Emacs icon, the string "emacs@COMPUTER_NAME" changes in "emacs@Computer_name", i.e. it respects the PC name case (what occurs on other GNU/Linux, for example).

When the Packages buffer is closed, that string remains to "emacs@Computer_name" and return to "emacs@COMPUTER_NAME" only if one restarts Emacs...

Maybe the strategy adopted by "Options - Manage Emacs Packages" could be used elsewhere so that also on Windows Emacs has the same behavior it has on other systems.

Ciao,
 Angelo.

-----
[*] It could take a while, one has to wait for "Package refresh done".

* Re: Still about frame title case [Windows]
@ 2018-11-04 12:59 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-11-04 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 10:23:07 +0100 (CET)
> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> More than an year ago we discussed about this
> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-05/msg00212.html)

Doesn't the solution/workaround I proposed in

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-05/msg00235.html

work for you?

> but now I notice a strange thing I want to report.
>
> When one manages packages (Options - Manage Emacs Packages), after it has updates the packages list [*], on the frame, near the Emacs icon, the string "emacs@COMPUTER_NAME" changes in "emacs@Computer_name", i.e. it respects the PC name case (what occurs on other GNU/Linux, for example).
>
> When the Packages buffer is closed, that string remains to "emacs@Computer_name" and return to "emacs@COMPUTER_NAME" only if one restarts Emacs...
>
> Maybe the strategy adopted by "Options - Manage Emacs Packages" could be used elsewhere so that also on Windows Emacs has the same behavior it has on other systems.

There's nothing strange here: package.el connects to the ELPA
repositories, so it initializes Winsock, after which the call to
system-name will returns the name of your system in its original
letter-case.  If you for some reason don't like the original proposal
I made back then, you could do in your .emacs something similar to
what package.el does: call some function that connects to some net
address (perhaps even localhost will do), then call system-name.  The
effect will be the same as the solution/workaround I proposed back
then, because all that's needed is to do something that forces Emacs
to initialize Winsock.  The underlying problem is that normally Emacs
calls system-name for the first time before Winsock is initialized, so
gethostname cannot yet be called.