* `mail-encode-header' encodes encoded header
@ 2012-03-12 12:18 Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2012-03-12 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

Hi,

2012-03-10  Richard Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>

	* mail/sendmail.el (mail-encode-header):
	Set rfc2047-encode-encoded-words.

Please don't do that.  Because:

2011-05-27  Kenichi Handa  <handa@m17n.org>

	* mail/sendmail.el (mail-encode-header): Avoid double encoding by
	let-binding rfc2047-encode-encoded-words to nil.

I use Gnus and smtpmail, that uses mail-encode-header, to send
mails.  Gnus passes a mail of which the header and the body are
fully encoded to smtpmail, so the double encoding takes place!
I often write mail's subject in Japanese, Gnus encodes it into

Subject: =?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCJUYlOSVIGyhC?=

, and now it is encoded again into:

Subject: =?us-ascii?Q?=3D=3Fiso-2022-jp=3FB=3FGyRCJUYlOSVIGyhC=3F=3D?=

There is no mail software that decodes it into human-readable one.

Regards,

* Re: `mail-encode-header' encodes encoded header
@ 2012-03-13 22:14 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-03-13 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: Richard Stallman, ding, emacs-devel

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> 2012-03-10  Richard Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>
>
> 	* mail/sendmail.el (mail-encode-header):
> 	Set rfc2047-encode-encoded-words.
>
> Please don't do that.  Because:
>
> 2011-05-27  Kenichi Handa  <handa@m17n.org>
>
> 	* mail/sendmail.el (mail-encode-header): Avoid double encoding by
> 	let-binding rfc2047-encode-encoded-words to nil.
>
> I use Gnus and smtpmail, that uses mail-encode-header, to send
> mails.  Gnus passes a mail of which the header and the body are
> fully encoded to smtpmail, so the double encoding takes place!

This patch should be reverted ASAP, because people are starting to see
corrupted email messages...

* Re: `mail-encode-header' encodes encoded header
@ 2012-03-13 23:28   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2012-03-13 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Richard Stallman, ding, emacs-devel

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> 2012-03-10  Richard Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>
>>
>> 	* mail/sendmail.el (mail-encode-header):
>> 	Set rfc2047-encode-encoded-words.
>>
>> Please don't do that.  Because:
>>
>> 2011-05-27  Kenichi Handa  <handa@m17n.org>
>>
>> 	* mail/sendmail.el (mail-encode-header): Avoid double encoding by
>> 	let-binding rfc2047-encode-encoded-words to nil.
>>
>> I use Gnus and smtpmail, that uses mail-encode-header, to send
>> mails.  Gnus passes a mail of which the header and the body are
>> fully encoded to smtpmail, so the double encoding takes place!

> This patch should be reverted ASAP, because people are starting to see
> corrupted email messages...

Fixed with a comment.  Thanks!

* Re: `mail-encode-header' encodes encoded header
@ 2012-03-14  8:54   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2012-03-14  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: yamaoka, ding, emacs-devel

There was definitely a bug that occurred in using sendmail.el
without that change.  But I don't recall the test case and
I could not come up with one now.  So I don't object
to removing the change.  But I think the problem will show
up again.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: `mail-encode-header' encodes encoded header
@ 2012-03-14 17:04     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-03-14 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: larsi, yamaoka, ding, emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 04:54:29 -0400
> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: yamaoka@jpl.org, ding@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> There was definitely a bug that occurred in using sendmail.el
> without that change.  But I don't recall the test case and
> I could not come up with one now.  So I don't object
> to removing the change.  But I think the problem will show
> up again.

When it does, please describe it.  It can never be TRT to encode an
already encoded address.  There must be some other bug in some other
place, which prevents the address from being encoded in the first
place.