* Keyword lambda used as flag
@ 2016-01-03  8:36 Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2016-01-03  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

there is a remark at

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34572963/what-does-lambda-do

pointing a "'lambda" used as flag.

Don't know if it's worth changing that right know.
Just want to bring it to your attention.

Thanks,

Andreas

* Re: Keyword lambda used as flag
@ 2016-01-03 15:35 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-01-03 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@online.de>
> Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 09:36:41 +0100
>
> there is a remark at
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34572963/what-does-lambda-do
>
> pointing a "'lambda" used as flag.
>
> Don't know if it's worth changing that right know.
> Just want to bring it to your attention.

We know.  This value of transient-mark-mode (as well as a couple of
others) is documented in the ELisp manual.  It's been there for the
last 7 years, so I think it's a bit too late to rename it now (and I'm
not sure I agree that the value was chosen poorly).

Thanks.

* Re: Keyword lambda used as flag
@ 2016-01-04  6:07   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2016-01-04  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:
on.

> We know.  This value of transient-mark-mode (as well as a couple of
> others) is documented in the ELisp manual.  It's been there for the
> last 7 years, so I think it's a bit too late to rename it now (and I'm
> not sure I agree that the value was chosen poorly).

I checked C-h v transient-mark-mode and there in the help buffer
the word lambda is linked to the help page of lambda expressions
which can be pretty confusing for the reader.

* Re: Keyword lambda used as flag
@ 2016-01-04 16:59     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-01-04 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Tom <adatgyujto@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 06:07:26 +0000 (UTC)
>
> I checked C-h v transient-mark-mode and there in the help buffer
> the word lambda is linked to the help page of lambda expressions
> which can be pretty confusing for the reader.

Thanks, I fixed the doc string not to do that.