* Set inhibit-compacting-font-caches non-nil on MS-Windows
@ 2019-08-03 12:20 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-08-03 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I think we should make this variable non-nil by default on
MS-Windows.

There are quite a few bug reports in the bug DB which all complain
about slow redisplay on MS-Windows, and were resolved by setting this
variable non-nil.  So it sounds like on MS-Windows the compacting of
the font caches is not a good idea (the original code was written to
fix a problem observed on X).

Any objections/comments?

* RE: Set inhibit-compacting-font-caches non-nil on MS-Windows
       [not found] <<83a7cqe8yh.fsf@gnu.org>
@ 2019-08-03 15:06 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2019-08-03 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

> I think we should make this variable non-nil by default on
> MS-Windows.
>
> There are quite a few bug reports in the bug DB which all complain
> about slow redisplay on MS-Windows, and were resolved by setting this
> variable non-nil.  So it sounds like on MS-Windows the compacting of
> the font caches is not a good idea (the original code was written to
> fix a problem observed on X).

+1.  Bugs #30539 and #32159, for instance.

* Re: Set inhibit-compacting-font-caches non-nil on MS-Windows
@ 2019-08-03 17:54   ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2019-08-03 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sat 03 Aug 2019, Drew Adams wrote:

>> I think we should make this variable non-nil by default on
>> MS-Windows.
>>
>> There are quite a few bug reports in the bug DB which all complain
>> about slow redisplay on MS-Windows, and were resolved by setting this
>> variable non-nil.  So it sounds like on MS-Windows the compacting of
>> the font caches is not a good idea (the original code was written to
>> fix a problem observed on X).
>
> +1.  Bugs #30539 and #32159, for instance.

I don't see this problem in my usual setup on Windows, probably because
I have configured the fonts used in `fontset-default', resulting in
shorter searches for suitable fonts.

As Eli pointed out in a previous discussion, configuring the default
fontset to contain the right fonts for multiple versions of Windows is a
fair amount of work, and would require ongoing maintenance.

Given that, setting inhibit-compacting-font-caches non-nil on Windows
seems a pragmatic workaround.

    AndyM

* Re: Set inhibit-compacting-font-caches non-nil on MS-Windows
@ 2019-09-07  9:27 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-09-07  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 15:20:54 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> I think we should make this variable non-nil by default on
> MS-Windows.
>
> There are quite a few bug reports in the bug DB which all complain
> about slow redisplay on MS-Windows, and were resolved by setting this
> variable non-nil.  So it sounds like on MS-Windows the compacting of
> the font caches is not a good idea (the original code was written to
> fix a problem observed on X).
>
> Any objections/comments?

No objections, so I've now made such a change on master.

* Re: Set inhibit-compacting-font-caches non-nil on MS-Windows
@ 2019-09-13 12:14 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2019-09-13 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I think we should make this variable non-nil by default on
> MS-Windows.
>
> There are quite a few bug reports in the bug DB which all complain
> about slow redisplay on MS-Windows, and were resolved by setting this
> variable non-nil.  So it sounds like on MS-Windows the compacting of
> the font caches is not a good idea (the original code was written to
> fix a problem observed on X).
>
> Any objections/comments?

Since there have been no objections, perhaps it's time to do this change?

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

* Re: Set inhibit-compacting-font-caches non-nil on MS-Windows
@ 2019-09-13 12:35   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-09-13 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 14:14:31 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Since there have been no objections, perhaps it's time to do this change?

Already done in f34f49f35, and announced in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-09/msg00177.html.

Thanks.