* Re: master a1a435b3f6: Respect test function when performing local drag-and-drop
@ 2022-06-13 13:51 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-06-13 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

> +  DEFVAR_LISP ("x-dnd-native-test-function", Vx_dnd_native_test_function,
> +    doc: /* Function called to determine return when dropping on Emacs itself.

What does it mean "to determine return"?  Did you mean "return value"?
or "what to return"?

> +It should accept two arguments POS and ACTION, and return a symbol
> +describing what to return from `x-begin-drag'.  POS is a mouse
> +position list detailing the location of the drop, and ACTION is the
> +action specified by the caller of `x-begin-drag'.

This alludes to `x-begin-drag', but it isn't clear how the variable
itself is related to that function.

* Re: master a1a435b3f6: Respect test function when performing local drag-and-drop
@ 2022-06-14  1:04 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-14  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> What does it mean "to determine return"?  Did you mean "return value"?
> or "what to return"?

Yes, sorry.

> This alludes to `x-begin-drag', but it isn't clear how the variable
> itself is related to that function.

It determines the return value of `x-begin-drag' when the drop happens
on a frame instead of a window belonging to another program.

* Re: master a1a435b3f6: Respect test function when performing local drag-and-drop
@ 2022-06-14  2:32   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-06-14  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 09:04:51 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > What does it mean "to determine return"?  Did you mean "return value"?
> > or "what to return"?
>
> Yes, sorry.
>
> > This alludes to `x-begin-drag', but it isn't clear how the variable
> > itself is related to that function.
>
> It determines the return value of `x-begin-drag' when the drop happens
> on a frame instead of a window belonging to another program.

My point was that before the doc string talks about x-begin-drag, it
should somehow tell where does this variable come into play with that
function.

* Re: master a1a435b3f6: Respect test function when performing local drag-and-drop
@ 2022-06-14  2:51     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-14  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> My point was that before the doc string talks about x-begin-drag, it
> should somehow tell where does this variable come into play with that
> function.

How about this?

Function called for the return value of `x-begin-drag' when dropping on a frame.

It should accept two arguments POS and ACTION, and return a symbol
describing what to return from `x-begin-drag' if the drop happens on a
frame.  POS is a mouse position list detailing the location of the drop,
and ACTION is the action specified by the caller of `x-begin-drag'.

If nil or a non-symbol value is returned, the drop will be cancelled.

* Re: master a1a435b3f6: Respect test function when performing local drag-and-drop
@ 2022-06-14 11:21       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-06-14 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 10:51:06 +0800
>
> How about this?
>
> Function called for the return value of `x-begin-drag' when dropping on a frame.
>
> It should accept two arguments POS and ACTION, and return a symbol
> describing what to return from `x-begin-drag' if the drop happens on a
> frame.  POS is a mouse position list detailing the location of the drop,
> and ACTION is the action specified by the caller of `x-begin-drag'.
>
> If nil or a non-symbol value is returned, the drop will be cancelled.

Suggest a slight rewording:

  Function that determines return value of drag-and-drop on Emacs frames.

  If the value is a function, `x-begin-drag' will call it with two
  arguments, POS and ACTION, where POS is a mouse position list
  that specifies the location of the drop, and ACTION is the action
  specified by the caller of `x-begin-drag'.  The function should
  return a symbol describing what to return from `x-begin-drag' if the
  drop happens on an Emacs frame.

  If the value is nil, or the function returns a value that is not a
  symbol, a drop on an Emacs frame will be canceled.

* Re: master a1a435b3f6: Respect test function when performing local drag-and-drop
@ 2022-06-14 11:47         ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-14 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Suggest a slight rewording:
>
>   Function that determines return value of drag-and-drop on Emacs frames.
>
>   If the value is a function, `x-begin-drag' will call it with two
>   arguments, POS and ACTION, where POS is a mouse position list
>   that specifies the location of the drop, and ACTION is the action
>   specified by the caller of `x-begin-drag'.  The function should
>   return a symbol describing what to return from `x-begin-drag' if the
>   drop happens on an Emacs frame.
>
>   If the value is nil, or the function returns a value that is not a
>   symbol, a drop on an Emacs frame will be canceled.

Thanks.