* RMAIL issue on Windows build
@ 2019-08-15 10:32 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2019-08-15 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Usually I backup my mails with 'archivemail' which saves them as mbox. Then I can read them with RMAIL. If the mbox archive is 'Sent_box', I can read it with

M-x rmail
i Sen<TAB>  (completed in 'Sent_box')

At this point it shows a list of mails which I can select and read.

I did this both on Windows and GNU/Linux.

Now, with my last builds of master (20190802_231128), the above steps do not work on Windows (MSYS2/MINGW64),

i Sen<TAB>

does not complete (says: don't match). Even copy/pasting the full archive name (Sent_box), it seems to load an empty buffer..

On both systems the builds were configured '--without-pop', only the on Windows the build log says

[...]
config.status: executing src/epaths.h commands
config.status: executing src/.gdbinit commands
config.status: executing doc/emacs/emacsver.texi commands
config.status: executing etc-refcards-emacsver.tex commands

 ===> Building ...

make -C nt all
make -C lib all
make info-real info-dir
make[1]: ingresso nella directory "/tmp/emacs-master/nt"
  RC       emacs.res
  CCLD     addpm.exe
  CCLD     cmdproxy.exe
[...]
-------------------

while on GNU/Linux

[...]
config.status: executing src/epaths.h commands
config.status: executing src/.gdbinit commands
config.status: executing doc/emacs/emacsver.texi commands
config.status: executing etc-refcards-emacsver.tex commands
configure: You might want to install GNU Mailutils
<https://mailutils.org> and use './configure --with-mailutils'.

 ===> Building ...

make -C lib all
make info-real info-dir
make[1]: ingresso nella directory "/tmp/emacs-master"
make[1]: ingresso nella directory "/tmp/emacs-master/lib"
make -C doc/lispref info
[...]

Ciao,
  Angelo.

* Re: RMAIL issue on Windows build
@ 2019-08-15 16:51 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-08-15 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:32:07 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it>
>
> Now, with my last builds of master (20190802_231128), the above steps do not work on Windows (MSYS2/MINGW64),
>
> i Sen<TAB>
>
> does not complete (says: don't match). Even copy/pasting the full archive name (Sent_box), it seems to load an empty buffer..

I cannot reproduce this.  I get the expected completion.

However, the initial step I did was slightly different:

  C-u M-x rmail RET some-mbox-file RET

because just "M-x rmail RET" would signal an error, since I didn't set
up movemail to fetch any mail box.

> On both systems the builds were configured '--without-pop', only the on Windows the build log says

I don't use --without-pop, FWIW.  Not sure it's related.

* Re: RMAIL issue on Windows build
@ 2019-08-15 21:03   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2019-08-15 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Il 15 agosto 2019 alle 18.51 Eli Zaretskii  ha scritto:
>

> > Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:32:07 +0200 (CEST)
> > From: Angelo Graziosi
> >
> > Now, with my last builds of master (20190802_231128), the above steps do not work on Windows (MSYS2/MINGW64),
> >
> > i Sen<TAB>
> >
> > does not complete (says: don't match). Even copy/pasting the full archive name (Sent_box), it seems to load an empty buffer..
>
> I cannot reproduce this.  I get the expected completion.
>
> However, the initial step I did was slightly different:
>
>   C-u M-x rmail RET some-mbox-file RET

Oops... my fault.

On Windows '~/' has a different meaning from the one it has on GNU/Linux.. So the completion failed because it was searching  the archive in the wrong directory (AppData/Roaming). Just using the right path fixes the "issue"...

Sorry for the noise.

* Re: RMAIL issue on Windows build
@ 2019-08-16  6:43     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-08-16  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 23:03:53 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Oops... my fault.
>
> On Windows '~/' has a different meaning from the one it has on GNU/Linux.. So the completion failed because it was searching  the archive in the wrong directory (AppData/Roaming). Just using the right path fixes the "issue"...
>
> Sorry for the noise.

No sweat, and thanks for rechecking.