* project.el and merging multiple projects into one?
@ 2022-04-29 12:44 Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2022-04-29 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

When working with sub-modules/sub-projects, it would be really useful
to somehow combine them into one single project.  Is that something
that is possible to do with project.el?

(Likewise, if the above is (or is made) possible; being able to
un-combine a project root would be useful too).

* Re: project.el and merging multiple projects into one?
@ 2022-04-29 14:31 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2022-04-29 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfred M. Szmidt, emacs-devel

On 29.04.2022 15:44, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> When working with sub-modules/sub-projects, it would be really useful
> to somehow combine them into one single project.  Is that something
> that is possible to do with project.el?
>
> (Likewise, if the above is (or is made) possible; being able to
> un-combine a project root would be useful too).

If we are talking about git submodules, there is the user option
project-vc-merge-submodules.

Otherwise, it depends on how the sub-projects are structured. Which
project backend is responsible for them, for instance.

* Re: project.el and merging multiple projects into one?
@ 2022-04-29 15:52   ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2022-04-29 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: emacs-devel

   On 29.04.2022 15:44, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
   > When working with sub-modules/sub-projects, it would be really useful
   > to somehow combine them into one single project.  Is that something
   > that is possible to do with project.el?
   >
   > (Likewise, if the above is (or is made) possible; being able to
   > un-combine a project root would be useful too).

   If we are talking about git submodules, there is the user option
   project-vc-merge-submodules.

We are talking about seperate, sometimes different, revision control
systems, or even entierly different locations.

   Otherwise, it depends on how the sub-projects are structured. Which
   project backend is responsible for them, for instance.

What is that? I could not find any documentation what so ever on
project.el.

* Re: project.el and merging multiple projects into one?
@ 2022-04-29 15:56     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2022-04-29 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfred M. Szmidt; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 29.04.2022 18:52, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> We are talking about seperate, sometimes different, revision control
> systems, or even entierly different locations.

Different locations meaning the project root directories are not nested?

>     Otherwise, it depends on how the sub-projects are structured. Which
>     project backend is responsible for them, for instance.
>
> What is that? I could not find any documentation what so ever on
> project.el.

There is a fair number of words written in its header commentary.

* Re: project.el and merging multiple projects into one?
@ 2022-04-29 16:13       ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2022-04-29 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: emacs-devel

   > We are talking about seperate, sometimes different, revision control
   > systems, or even entierly different locations.

   Different locations meaning the project root directories are not nested?

Yes.

   >     Otherwise, it depends on how the sub-projects are structured. Which
   >     project backend is responsible for them, for instance.
   >
   > What is that? I could not find any documentation what so ever on
   > project.el.

   There is a fair number of words written in its header commentary.

None of which actually explain anything sufficiently to understand how
to create a backend, if they did... I would have asked a different
question.

* Re: project.el and merging multiple projects into one?
@ 2022-04-29 16:18         ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2022-04-29 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfred M. Szmidt; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 29.04.2022 19:13, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>     > We are talking about seperate, sometimes different, revision control
>     > systems, or even entierly different locations.
>
>     Different locations meaning the project root directories are not nested?
>
> Yes.

Not sure if any of the existing backends support that natively.

>     >     Otherwise, it depends on how the sub-projects are structured. Which
>     >     project backend is responsible for them, for instance.
>     >
>     > What is that? I could not find any documentation what so ever on
>     > project.el.
>
>     There is a fair number of words written in its header commentary.
>
> None of which actually explain anything sufficiently to understand how
> to create a backend, if they did... I would have asked a different
> question.

What if you start reading from the heading titled "How to create a new
backend"?

* Re: project.el and merging multiple projects into one?
@ 2022-04-29 16:30           ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2022-04-29 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: emacs-devel

   >     >     Otherwise, it depends on how the sub-projects are structured. Which
   >     >     project backend is responsible for them, for instance.
   >     >
   >     > What is that? I could not find any documentation what so ever on
   >     > project.el.
   >
   >     There is a fair number of words written in its header commentary.
   >
   > None of which actually explain anything sufficiently to understand how
   > to create a backend, if they did... I would have asked a different
   > question.

   What if you start reading from the heading titled "How to create a new
   backend"?

There is a fair number of words written previously that explains that
I already did so.  There is also plenty written in the GNU Kindness
guidelines on how to at least try to behave.

* Re: project.el and merging multiple projects into one?
@ 2022-04-29 16:38             ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2022-04-29 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfred M. Szmidt; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 29.04.2022 19:30, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>     What if you start reading from the heading titled "How to create a new
>     backend"?
>
> There is a fair number of words written previously that explains that
> I already did so.  There is also plenty written in the GNU Kindness
> guidelines on how to at least try to behave.

Seriously?

* Re: project.el and merging multiple projects into one?
@ 2022-04-29 19:12     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-04-29 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfred M. Szmidt; +Cc: emacs-devel, dgutov

> From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 11:52:32 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>    Otherwise, it depends on how the sub-projects are structured. Which
>    project backend is responsible for them, for instance.
>
> What is that?

Invoke this:

  M-: (project-current nil DIRECTORY) RET

where DIRECTORY is the root of the tree of the
sub-module/sub-project.  The value that the above returns should tell
you the backend for DIRECTORY.  It could be nil, meaning that Emacs
didn't find any backend for that directory.