* [macos] memory use up to 1gb
@ 2019-09-05  3:25 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-09-05  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

I'm starting emacs with 30 buffers (of which 28 are files), with no running processes and the memory footprint is about 150 mb.

After a few days of working with the buffers (mostly text editing, org-mode use, packages updates, etc.) I end up with more than 1gb of memory footprint.

Is that an anomaly ? Does that correspond to undo information and other things like that ? If that's an anomaly, how do I debug that (it seems to take some time to reach that value) or how do I avoid that phenomenon ?

I'm using the regularly updated "vanilla" master branche (simple "make install" on macos 10.14.6).

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: [macos] memory use up to 1gb
@ 2019-09-05  5:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-09-05  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Jean-Christophe Helary, Emacs developers

On September 5, 2019 6:25:08 AM GMT+03:00, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:
> I'm starting emacs with 30 buffers (of which 28 are files), with no
> running processes and the memory footprint is about 150 mb.
>
> After a few days of working with the buffers (mostly text editing,
> org-mode use, packages updates, etc.) I end up with more than 1gb of
> memory footprint.
>
> Is that an anomaly ? Does that correspond to undo information and
> other things like that ? If that's an anomaly, how do I debug that (it
> seems to take some time to reach that value) or how do I avoid that
> phenomenon ?
>
> I'm using the regularly updated "vanilla" master branche (simple "make
> install" on macos 10.14.6).
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary
> http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune

You don't say what Emacs version is that.  If that's Emacs 27, make sure you are using the latest master branch, where problems related to GC were fixed yesterday.

* Re: [macos] memory use up to 1gb
@ 2019-09-05  6:01   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-09-05  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

> On Sep 5, 2019, at 14:42, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> On September 5, 2019 6:25:08 AM GMT+03:00, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:
>> I'm starting emacs with 30 buffers (of which 28 are files), with no
>> running processes and the memory footprint is about 150 mb.
>>
>> After a few days of working with the buffers (mostly text editing,
>> org-mode use, packages updates, etc.) I end up with more than 1gb of
>> memory footprint.
>>
>> Is that an anomaly ? Does that correspond to undo information and
>> other things like that ? If that's an anomaly, how do I debug that (it
>> seems to take some time to reach that value) or how do I avoid that
>> phenomenon ?
>>
>> I'm using the regularly updated "vanilla" master branche (simple "make
>> install" on macos 10.14.6).
>>
>> Jean-Christophe Helary
>> http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune
>
> You don't say what Emacs version is that.  If that's Emacs 27, make sure you are using the latest master branch, where problems related to GC were fixed yesterday.

Thank you Eli.

I thought "master" was always referring to the latest version of Emacs. Apologies if I got that wrong. Which branch should I use to be testing the latest code ?

I just rebuilt from "master", I'll see if the issue goes away.

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: [macos] memory use up to 1gb
@ 2019-09-05 16:46     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-09-05 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org>
> Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 15:01:23 +0900
>
> > You don't say what Emacs version is that.  If that's Emacs 27, make sure you are using the latest master branch, where problems related to GC were fixed yesterday.
>
> Thank you Eli.
>
> I thought "master" was always referring to the latest version of Emacs. Apologies if I got that wrong. Which branch should I use to be testing the latest code ?

As I said: the master branch.  By "the latest" I meant the latest
commit on that branch.

> I just rebuilt from "master", I'll see if the issue goes away.

Thanks.