* [Detaching after vfork from child process NNNNN]
@ 2024-01-03  4:13 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2024-01-03  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I just started using the latest master to edit with, and actions that
create subprocesses often display

   [Detaching after vfork from child process NNNNN]

on the tty which is Emacs's output device.  This is quite invonenient
when doing normal editing with Emacs running under GDB.

I turned those messages off by adding the line

  set print inferior-events off

to src/.gdbinit.

Is it really right for the printing of those events to be enabled by
default?

How about adding that line to .gdbinit by default,
with a comment explaining what would result form deleting it?

* Re: [Detaching after vfork from child process NNNNN]
@ 2024-01-03 12:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-01-03 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 23:13:43 -0500
>
> I just started using the latest master to edit with, and actions that
> create subprocesses often display
>
>    [Detaching after vfork from child process NNNNN]
>
> on the tty which is Emacs's output device.  This is quite invonenient
> when doing normal editing with Emacs running under GDB.

This is a message from GDB.

> I turned those messages off by adding the line
>
>   set print inferior-events off
>
> to src/.gdbinit.
>
> Is it really right for the printing of those events to be enabled by
> default?

IMO yes, since inferior-events include process start and exit, and
those events are important in general when debugging.

> How about adding that line to .gdbinit by default,
> with a comment explaining what would result form deleting it?

I don't think it's a good idea to do that for everyone here.  I, for
one, want to see these events announced.  You can, of course, add this
to your personal ~/.gdbinit.

It might also be a good idea to extend the "set detach-on-fork"
command in GDB to allow more fine-grained control, including shutting
down the announcement of the detachment.  If you think this is a good
idea, I suggest to talk to the GDB developers or maybe even suggest a
patch to them.

* Re: [Detaching after vfork from child process NNNNN]
@ 2024-01-11  4:05   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2024-01-11  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > > How about adding that line to .gdbinit by default,
  > > with a comment explaining what would result form deleting it?

  > I don't think it's a good idea to do that for everyone here.  I, for
  > one, want to see these events announced.

I didn't expect anyone to like having that enabled, but since you do,
I added a commented-out GDB command to show how to turn the notices off.

* Re: [Detaching after vfork from child process NNNNN]
@ 2024-01-11  6:39     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-01-11  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 23:05:59 -0500
>
>   > > How about adding that line to .gdbinit by default,
>   > > with a comment explaining what would result form deleting it?
>
>   > I don't think it's a good idea to do that for everyone here.  I, for
>   > one, want to see these events announced.
>
> I didn't expect anyone to like having that enabled, but since you do,
> I added a commented-out GDB command to show how to turn the notices off.

Thanks, that will make the issue more easily discoverable, indeed.