* severe problem with 'emacs-devel' list archive searches
@ 2022-08-24 13:07 Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2022-08-24 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Folks,

while searching e-mails in the archive at

  https://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/

it seems that the last e-mails found in searches stem from around
February 2021.  For example, the title of

  https://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-08/msg00814.html

is "Re: On the adoption of transient.el,", but a search for
'transient.el' does not include this e-mail.

Is this a known problem?  Note that other e-mail lists on
'lists.gnu.org' (for example, 'freetype-devel') are not affected and
contain recent e-mails in search results.

    Werner

* Re: severe problem with 'emacs-devel' list archive searches
@ 2022-08-24 13:23 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-08-24 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner LEMBERG; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 13:07:47 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org>
>
> while searching e-mails in the archive at
>
>   https://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/
>
> it seems that the last e-mails found in searches stem from around
> February 2021.  For example, the title of
>
>   https://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-08/msg00814.html
>
> is "Re: On the adoption of transient.el,", but a search for
> 'transient.el' does not include this e-mail.
>
> Is this a known problem?

Yes.

* Re: severe problem with 'emacs-devel' list archive searches
@ 2022-08-24 15:24 ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2022-08-24 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner LEMBERG, emacs-devel

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

> Folks,
>

> while searching e-mails in the archive at
>
>   https://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/
>
> it seems that the last e-mails found in searches stem from around
> February 2021.  For example, the title of
>
>   https://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-08/msg00814.html
>
> is "Re: On the adoption of transient.el,", but a search for
> 'transient.el' does not include this e-mail.
>
> Is this a known problem?  Note that other e-mail lists on
> 'lists.gnu.org' (for example, 'freetype-devel') are not affected and
> contain recent e-mails in search results.

If it helps, I have a public-inbox archive at:

  https://lwn.net/ml/emacs-devel/

It has only been going for a couple of years (I think) so you won't find
old stuff there, but you can find current discussions.

Thanks,

jon

* Re: severe problem with 'emacs-devel' list archive searches
@ 2022-08-24 15:37   ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2022-08-24 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corbet; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> it seems that the last e-mails found in searches stem from around
>> February 2021.  [...]
>
> If it helps, I have a public-inbox archive at:
>
>   https://lwn.net/ml/emacs-devel/

Thanks, but...

> It has only been going for a couple of years (I think) so you won't
> find old stuff there, but you can find current discussions.

... I wonder whether this can be fixed.  It really looks strange that
'emacs-devel' is affected but not other GNU lists.

Eli, can you please provide a link that gives more information on the
failure?  A quick search in the internet doesn't reveal anything for
me.

@ 2022-08-24 15:58     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-08-24 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner LEMBERG; +Cc: corbet, emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 15:37:54 +0000 (UTC)
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org>
>
> ... I wonder whether this can be fixed.  It really looks strange that
> 'emacs-devel' is affected but not other GNU lists.
>
> Eli, can you please provide a link that gives more information on the
> failure?  A quick search in the internet doesn't reveal anything for
> me.

I don't have any other information, sorry.  I only know that this was
already reported here, and AFAIK also reported to mailman@gnu.org.