* emacs-20110214 windows binaries
@ 2011-02-14 21:37 Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2011-02-14 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: help-emacs-windows

The trunk was built and runs successfully on Windows.  Binaries have
been published in

http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

* Re: emacs-20110214 windows binaries
@ 2011-02-15 12:51 ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2011-02-15 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: help-emacs-windows

On Mon 14 Feb 2011, Sean Sieger wrote:

> The trunk was built and runs successfully on Windows.  Binaries have
> been published in
>
> http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

Sean,

When releasing a new binary, could you please add some notes to describe:
 - which Bzr changeset you used to build the binaries
 - the toolchain and lib versions you used (ideally with download URLs)
 - how you configured the build

This would help people understand what level of image support is
present, and what to expect in terms of features compared to the
trunk.

Thanks,

    AndyM

* Re: emacs-20110214 windows binaries
@ 2011-02-15 17:59   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-02-15 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Moreton; +Cc: help-emacs-windows, emacs-devel

> From: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:51:08 +0000
> Cc: help-emacs-windows@gnu.org
>
> When releasing a new binary, could you please add some notes to describe:
>  - which Bzr changeset you used to build the binaries
>  - the toolchain and lib versions you used (ideally with download URLs)
>  - how you configured the build

The last one is readily available inside Emacs in the values of
system-configuration and system-configuration-options.

The second one is an issue only wrt libpng, and for that you can
examine the value of libpng-version.

So I think only the first one might be an issue.

* Re: emacs-20110214 windows binaries
@ 2011-02-15 18:46     ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2011-02-15 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: help-emacs-windows

On Tue 15 Feb 2011, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:51:08 +0000
>> Cc: help-emacs-windows@gnu.org
>>
>> When releasing a new binary, could you please add some notes to describe:
>>  - which Bzr changeset you used to build the binaries
>>  - the toolchain and lib versions you used (ideally with download URLs)
>>  - how you configured the build
>
> The last one is readily available inside Emacs in the values of
> system-configuration and system-configuration-options.

This pair of variables are helpful but provide only partial
information. In the case of Sean's builds:

   system-configuration is a variable defined in `C source code'.
   Its value is "i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600"

   system-configuration-options is a variable defined in `C source code'.
   Its value is
   "--with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/imagesupport/include"

This lets me know that he used a MinGW32 toolchain. It does not tell me
which image library headers were available, or which versions.

> The second one is an issue only wrt libpng, and for that you can
> examine the value of libpng-version.

How is one meant to discover that this undocumented variable exists ?

The values in dynamic-library-alist (formerly image-library-alist) don't
give any indication of what the build actually supports. It would be
useful to know which libraries are expected to work.

All of this information is also useful for anybody trying to build emacs
themselves, to understand whether they have the right versions of
libraries.

Of course thanks are due to Sean for doing the work to publish these builds.

    AndyM

* Re: emacs-20110214 windows binaries
@ 2011-02-15 19:19       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-02-15 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Moreton; +Cc: help-emacs-windows, emacs-devel

> From: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:46:58 +0000
> Cc: help-emacs-windows@gnu.org
>
> On Tue 15 Feb 2011, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >> From: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
> >> Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:51:08 +0000
> >> Cc: help-emacs-windows@gnu.org
> >>
> >> When releasing a new binary, could you please add some notes to describe:
> >>  - which Bzr changeset you used to build the binaries
> >>  - the toolchain and lib versions you used (ideally with download URLs)
> >>  - how you configured the build
> >
> > The last one is readily available inside Emacs in the values of
> > system-configuration and system-configuration-options.
>
> This pair of variables are helpful but provide only partial
> information. In the case of Sean's builds:
>
>    system-configuration is a variable defined in `C source code'.
>    Its value is "i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600"
>
>    system-configuration-options is a variable defined in `C source code'.
>    Its value is
>    "--with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/imagesupport/include"

I was referring to the "how you configured the build" part.  These
two variables tell exactly how configure.bat was invoked.

> This lets me know that he used a MinGW32 toolchain. It does not tell me
> which image library headers were available, or which versions.

When/where is that an issue, except with libpng?

> > The second one is an issue only wrt libpng, and for that you can
> > examine the value of libpng-version.
>
> How is one meant to discover that this undocumented variable exists ?

Well, I just told you about it, didn't I? ;-)  So now you know.

Also, it's mentioned in nt/INSTALL.

> The values in dynamic-library-alist (formerly image-library-alist) don't
> give any indication of what the build actually supports. It would be
> useful to know which libraries are expected to work.

Everything in dynamic-library-alist is supposed to work; if something
doesn't, please submit a bug report.

> All of this information is also useful for anybody trying to build emacs
> themselves, to understand whether they have the right versions of
> libraries.

The information for that is in nt/INSTALL; again, if something is
missing or unclear, please tell the specifics.