* Color emojis on Win10?
@ 2021-11-09 11:53 Arash Esbati
From: Arash Esbati @ 2021-11-09 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I'm using a recent build (41b1fa05c7) from master on Win10 and have the
following snippet in my init file for emojis:

    (set-fontset-font t 'emoji
                      (font-spec :family   "Segoe UI Emoji"
                                 :registry "iso10646-1"
                                 :size     9.3)
                      nil 'prepend)

Is it possible to get color emojis with Segoe UI Emoji?  This is what I
see when using `C-x 8 e i':

[-- Attachment #2: emoji.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 8322 bytes --]

And when I choose 'Water Closet' under transport-sign (which is a new
method to me ;-), it is inserted B/W.  The character itself is taken
from the font:

            character: 🚾 (displayed as 🚾) (codepoint 128702, #o373276, #x1f6be)
              charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
code point in charset: 0x1F6BE
               script: emoji
               syntax: w 	which means: word
             category: .:Base
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET 1f6be" or "C-x 8 RET WATER CLOSET"
          buffer code: #xF0 #x9F #x9A #xBE
            file code: #xF0 #x9F #x9A #xBE (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
              display: by this font (glyph code):
    harfbuzz:-outline-Segoe UI Emoji-medium-normal-normal-sans-12-*-*-*-p-*-iso10646-1 (#x1882)

I tried to install Noto Color Emoji from here[1] but the
WindowsCompatible ttf still doesn't work under Win10 (Ver 21H1, 19043).

Any chance to get colors with Segoe?

Best, Arash

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/googlefonts/noto-emoji/tree/main/fonts

* Re: Color emojis on Win10?
@ 2021-11-09 12:11 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2021-11-09 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arash Esbati; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Arash> I tried to install Noto Color Emoji from here[1] but the
    Arash> WindowsCompatible ttf still doesn't work under Win10 (Ver 21H1, 19043).

    Arash> Any chance to get colors with Segoe?

Color fonts on Windows requires APIs that we donʼt use (because
theyʼre C++?). Eli, is there a useful overview somewhere of what is
needed?

Robert

* Re: Color emojis on Win10?
@ 2021-11-09 13:25 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-11-09 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arash Esbati; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 12:53:26 +0100
>
> I'm using a recent build (41b1fa05c7) from master on Win10 and have the
> following snippet in my init file for emojis:
>
>     (set-fontset-font t 'emoji
>                       (font-spec :family   "Segoe UI Emoji"
>                                  :registry "iso10646-1"
>                                  :size     9.3)
>                       nil 'prepend)
>
> Is it possible to get color emojis with Segoe UI Emoji?

It isn't currently possible to get color Emoji on MS-Windows.  Color
fonts are not supported there.  Patches to add that are welcome.

* Re: Color emojis on Win10?
@ 2021-11-09 13:28   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-11-09 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: arash, emacs-devel

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 13:11:31 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Color fonts on Windows requires APIs that we donʼt use (because
> theyʼre C++?). Eli, is there a useful overview somewhere of what is
> needed?

  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/directwrite/color-fonts

* Re: Color emojis on Win10?
@ 2021-11-09 13:36   ` Arash Esbati
From: Arash Esbati @ 2021-11-09 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org>
>> Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 12:53:26 +0100
>>
>> I'm using a recent build (41b1fa05c7) from master on Win10 and have the
>> following snippet in my init file for emojis:
>>
>>     (set-fontset-font t 'emoji
>>                       (font-spec :family   "Segoe UI Emoji"
>>                                  :registry "iso10646-1"
>>                                  :size     9.3)
>>                       nil 'prepend)
>>
>> Is it possible to get color emojis with Segoe UI Emoji?
>
> It isn't currently possible to get color Emoji on MS-Windows.  Color
> fonts are not supported there.  Patches to add that are welcome.

Thanks.  I can't fix the issue, but I can provide a patch documenting
the current state, say for NEWS in emacs-28.  I'm not sure if "No color
fonts on MS-Windows" is mentioned somewhere.

Best, Arash

* Re: Color emojis on Win10?
@ 2021-11-09 13:56     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-11-09 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arash Esbati; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 14:36:16 +0100
>
> > It isn't currently possible to get color Emoji on MS-Windows.  Color
> > fonts are not supported there.  Patches to add that are welcome.
>
> Thanks.  I can't fix the issue, but I can provide a patch documenting
> the current state, say for NEWS in emacs-28.  I'm not sure if "No color
> fonts on MS-Windows" is mentioned somewhere.

It says "on capable platforms", doesn't it?

We don't usually have NEWS entries saying that some feature is not
available on MS-Windows (or macOS, for that matter).