* Info Directory: What counts as an editing mode?
@ 2013-08-04 10:46 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2013-08-04 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've finally finished the Texinfo manual for Todo mode and am ready to
install it, but first would like clarification about where to put the
Info dir entry.  The natural place would seem to be in the section
"Emacs editing modes", but there are several entries in the "Emacs misc
features" section for packages that seem to be primarily used for
editing (in some sense): Autotype, EDT, Forms, Remember, VIP, VIPER.  So
where should I put the entry for Todo mode?

Steve Berman

* Re: Info Directory: What counts as an editing mode?
@ 2013-08-04 15:15 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-08-04 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
> Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 12:46:21 +0200
>
> I've finally finished the Texinfo manual for Todo mode and am ready to
> install it, but first would like clarification about where to put the
> Info dir entry.  The natural place would seem to be in the section
> "Emacs editing modes", but there are several entries in the "Emacs misc
> features" section for packages that seem to be primarily used for
> editing (in some sense): Autotype, EDT, Forms, Remember, VIP, VIPER.  So
> where should I put the entry for Todo mode?

I'd put Todo in the "Misc features" part.  It's not clear-cut, but it
looks like "Editing modes" are reserved for larger packages.

* Re: Info Directory: What counts as an editing mode?
@ 2013-08-04 18:13   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2013-08-04 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, 04 Aug 2013 18:15:56 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
>> Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 12:46:21 +0200
>>
>> I've finally finished the Texinfo manual for Todo mode and am ready to
>> install it, but first would like clarification about where to put the
>> Info dir entry.  The natural place would seem to be in the section
>> "Emacs editing modes", but there are several entries in the "Emacs misc
>> features" section for packages that seem to be primarily used for
>> editing (in some sense): Autotype, EDT, Forms, Remember, VIP, VIPER.  So
>> where should I put the entry for Todo mode?
>
> I'd put Todo in the "Misc features" part.  It's not clear-cut, but it
> looks like "Editing modes" are reserved for larger packages.

It's true that all the packages under "Emacs editing modes" are
multifile and larger than todo-mode.el.  On the other hand, if size is
the reason for putting those other packages under a separate heading,
then the heading chosen is rather misleading.  Moreover, EDT and VIPER
are also multifile and VIPER is also quite large.  But I don't want to
make a big deal of this, so if no one else chimes in, I'll go ahead and
put the entry under "Emacs misc features".

@ 2013-08-04 18:48     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-08-04 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 20:13:14 +0200
>
> if size is the reason for putting those other packages under a
> separate heading, then the heading chosen is rather misleading.

I don't think that was the reason, it just happened.

> Moreover, EDT and VIPER are also multifile and VIPER is also quite
> large.

Those are emulations of other editors, so they are different.