* Support for SARIF formatted diagnostics
@ 2023-05-17 17:22 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-05-17 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

In

  https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2023-May/241566.html

a GCC developer asked whether Emacs can support compiler diagnostics
in SARIF format, which GCC 13 is capable of emitting (see towards the
end of that message).  I don't think we support that, do we?  If not,
I think it would be good to add such support, if someone wants to work
on that.

TIA

* Re: Support for SARIF formatted diagnostics
@ 2023-05-18 22:39 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2023-05-18 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

What does SARIF format look like?  Is there any difficulty dstinguishing
it from oter suported formats?

* Re: Support for SARIF formatted diagnostics
@ 2023-05-19  5:47   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-05-19  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 18:39:30 -0400
>
> What does SARIF format look like?  Is there any difficulty dstinguishing
> it from oter suported formats?

AFAIU, SARIF format is basically JSON with special properties and
objects defined by the corresponding standard document.

* Re: Support for SARIF formatted diagnostics
@ 2023-05-21 21:03     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2023-05-21 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > AFAIU, SARIF format is basically JSON with special properties and
  > objects defined by the corresponding standard document.

Is it straightforard to distinguish SARIF format and handle it?

* Re: Support for SARIF formatted diagnostics
@ 2023-05-22  2:28       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-05-22  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 17:03:45 -0400
>
>   > AFAIU, SARIF format is basically JSON with special properties and
>   > objects defined by the corresponding standard document.
>
> Is it straightforard to distinguish SARIF format and handle it?

I expect so, but I don't have access to a GCC version which supports
that to check.

* Re: Support for SARIF formatted diagnostics
@ 2023-05-22  4:35         ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2023-05-22  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 17:03:45 -0400
>>
>>   > AFAIU, SARIF format is basically JSON with special properties and
>>   > objects defined by the corresponding standard document.
>>
>> Is it straightforard to distinguish SARIF format and handle it?
>
> I expect so, but I don't have access to a GCC version which supports
> that to check.

Which GCC version supports it? You can get a recent GCC by using the
open build service client (osc) in a project that you checked out by
running `osc shell` to test.

* Re: Support for SARIF formatted diagnostics
@ 2023-05-22 11:02           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-05-22 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Bidar; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> From: Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 07:35:58 +0300
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> >> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >> Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 17:03:45 -0400
> >>
> >>   > AFAIU, SARIF format is basically JSON with special properties and
> >>   > objects defined by the corresponding standard document.
> >>
> >> Is it straightforard to distinguish SARIF format and handle it?
> >
> > I expect so, but I don't have access to a GCC version which supports
> > that to check.
>
> Which GCC version supports it?

GCC 1,,, AFAIU.

> You can get a recent GCC by using the open build service client
> (osc) in a project that you checked out by running `osc shell` to
> test.

Thanks, I hope someone will find time to do that and report.

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-05-22 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Bidar; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> From: Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 07:35:58 +0300
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> >> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >> Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 17:03:45 -0400
> >>
> >>   > AFAIU, SARIF format is basically JSON with special properties and
> >>   > objects defined by the corresponding standard document.
> >>
> >> Is it straightforard to distinguish SARIF format and handle it?
> >
> > I expect so, but I don't have access to a GCC version which supports
> > that to check.
>
> Which GCC version supports it?

GCC 13, AFAIU.