* compile on MacOS, Install and config  information is a bit confusing
@ 2022-04-08  6:27 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-04-08  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi

Reading the INSTALL file in the nexstep directory I find

,----
|   ./configure --with-ns
`----

However when I run this option, I obtain a warning
(I have seen in GNU/Linux)

,----
| WARNING: This configuration installs a 'movemail' program
|
| that does not retrieve POP3 email.  By default, Emacs 25 and earlier
|
| installed a 'movemail' program that retrieved POP3 email via only
|
| insecure channels, a practice that is no longer recommended but that
|
| you can continue to support by using './configure --with-pop'.
|
| configure: You might want to install GNU Mailutils
|
| <https://mailutils.org> and use './configure --with-mailutils'.
`----

Isn't this a  bit confusing.

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.

* Re: compile on MacOS, Install and config  information is a bit confusing
@ 2022-04-08  7:21 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-04-08  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 08:27:09 +0200
>
> Reading the INSTALL file in the nexstep directory I find
>

> ,----
> |   ./configure --with-ns
> `----
>
> However when I run this option, I obtain a warning
> (I have seen in GNU/Linux)
>
> ,----
> | WARNING: This configuration installs a 'movemail' program
> |
> | that does not retrieve POP3 email.  By default, Emacs 25 and earlier
> |
> | installed a 'movemail' program that retrieved POP3 email via only
> |
> | insecure channels, a practice that is no longer recommended but that
> |
> | you can continue to support by using './configure --with-pop'.
> |
> | configure: You might want to install GNU Mailutils
> |
> | <https://mailutils.org> and use './configure --with-mailutils'.
> `----
>
> Isn't this a  bit confusing.

Why is it confusing?  What is unclear about that warning?

* Re: compile on MacOS, Install and config  information is a bit confusing
@ 2022-04-08  7:23   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-04-08  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, emacs-devel

>>> "EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
>> Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 08:27:09 +0200
>>
>> Reading the INSTALL file in the nexstep directory I find
>>

>> ,----
>> |   ./configure --with-ns
>> `----
>>
>> However when I run this option, I obtain a warning
>> (I have seen in GNU/Linux)
>>
>> ,----
>> | WARNING: This configuration installs a 'movemail' program
>> |
>> | that does not retrieve POP3 email.  By default, Emacs 25 and earlier
>> |
>> | installed a 'movemail' program that retrieved POP3 email via only
>> |
>> | insecure channels, a practice that is no longer recommended but that
>> |
>> | you can continue to support by using './configure --with-pop'.
>> |
>> | configure: You might want to install GNU Mailutils
>> |
>> | <https://mailutils.org> and use './configure --with-mailutils'.
>> `----
>>
>> Isn't this a  bit confusing.

> Why is it confusing?  What is unclear about that warning?

This part is *not* confusing, what is confusing that this option is
*not* mentioned in the INSTALL file in the nextstep directory.

It is not coherent, to recommend to use

  ./configure --with-ns

And then let a message tell you to use a different option

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.
I support the EU membership of the Ukraine.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: compile on MacOS, Install and config  information is a bit confusing
@ 2022-04-08  9:19     ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2022-04-08  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> [[S/MIME Signed Part:Undecided]]
>
>>> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
>>> Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 08:27:09 +0200
>>>
>>> Reading the INSTALL file in the nexstep directory I find
>>>

>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>
>>> However when I run this option, I obtain a warning
>>> (I have seen in GNU/Linux)
>>>
>>> ,----

>>> `----
>>>
>>> Isn't this a  bit confusing.
>
>> Why is it confusing?  What is unclear about that warning?
>
> This part is *not* confusing, what is confusing that this option is
> *not* mentioned in the INSTALL file in the nextstep directory.
>
> It is not coherent, to recommend to use
>
>   ./configure --with-ns
>
> And then let a message tell you to use a different option

That warning has nothing to do with the --with-ns option. You see that
warning on GNU Linux as well. It is there to inform those building Emacs
that it no longer includes support for POP.

BTW I would also recommend switching from fink to homebrew. I found fink
packages were often out of date or had long standing issues which did
not seem to get resolved (this was some years back). Homebrew on the
other hand I have found to be pretty good.

* Re: compile on MacOS, Install and config  information is a bit confusing
@ 2022-04-08 10:49     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-04-08 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Cc: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 09:23:49 +0200
>
> >> ,----

> >> `----
> >>
> >> Isn't this a  bit confusing.
>
> > Why is it confusing?  What is unclear about that warning?
>
> This part is *not* confusing, what is confusing that this option is
> *not* mentioned in the INSTALL file in the nextstep directory.
>
> It is not coherent, to recommend to use
>
>   ./configure --with-ns
>
> And then let a message tell you to use a different option

It is not a different option, it is an additional option, which is not
recommended in general and listed only for those who use 'movemail',
but cannot install GNU Mailutils.

* Re: compile on MacOS, Install and config  information is a bit confusing
@ 2022-04-09  6:44       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-04-09  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel