* GTK patch - only for GTK >= version 2? (and hence GNOME 2)
@ 2003-01-15  2:57 Alex Lancaster
From: Alex Lancaster @ 2003-01-15  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems that the GTK patch by Jan only works with for GTK+ version 2
(and hence GNOME 2) and later.  I was wondering whether this was by
design or accident (I presuming that it is by design, because I
noticed that the autoconf tests look for a version of GLIB and GTK >=
2.0.1, but I wanted to be sure).

I have successfully built a version of Emacs CVS w/ GTK patch under
Red Hat 8.0 (which ships with GTK+/GNOME 2 as standard), but was
trying to build the same version under Slackware 8.1 which ships with
GTK+ 1.2.10 and it fails (presumably due to the GTK+ version).

Thanks,

Alex

* Re: GTK patch - only for GTK >= version 2? (and hence GNOME 2)
@ 2003-01-15 16:25   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-01-15 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 17:40:23 +0100
> From: "Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>
> >
> > I have successfully built a version of Emacs CVS w/ GTK patch under
> > Red Hat 8.0 (which ships with GTK+/GNOME 2 as standard), but was
> > trying to build the same version under Slackware 8.1 which ships with
> > GTK+ 1.2.10 and it fails (presumably due to the GTK+ version).
>
> Yes, this is by design.  The main reason is that the event strategy used
> for Emacs and GTK won't work with GTK 1.2 (or rather Glib 1.2).  Other
> reasons are that a lot of stuff that are in 1.2 has been replaced with
> new things in 2.0 (like moving all event-signals to glib) and the old 1.2
> things are depreceated in 2.0.  So in order to be more "future proof",
> I started with for 2.0.

IMHO, this should probably be mentioned in INSTALL (if it isn't
already).

* Re: GTK patch - only for GTK >= version 2? (and hence GNOME 2)
@ 2003-01-15 16:40 ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2003-01-15 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

onsdagen den 15 januari 2003 kl 03.57 skrev Alex Lancaster:

> It seems that the GTK patch by Jan only works with for GTK+ version 2
> (and hence GNOME 2) and later.  I was wondering whether this was by
> design or accident (I presuming that it is by design, because I
> noticed that the autoconf tests look for a version of GLIB and GTK >=
> 2.0.1, but I wanted to be sure).
>
> I have successfully built a version of Emacs CVS w/ GTK patch under
> Red Hat 8.0 (which ships with GTK+/GNOME 2 as standard), but was
> trying to build the same version under Slackware 8.1 which ships with
> GTK+ 1.2.10 and it fails (presumably due to the GTK+ version).

Yes, this is by design.  The main reason is that the event strategy used
for Emacs and GTK won't work with GTK 1.2 (or rather Glib 1.2).  Other
reasons are that a lot of stuff that are in 1.2 has been replaced with
new things in 2.0 (like moving all event-signals to glib) and the old 1.2
things are depreceated in 2.0.  So in order to be more "future proof",
I started with for 2.0.

Note that no Gnome stuff are used, so just compiling GTK 2.0 is enough
to get Emacs to compile.

	Jan D.

* Re: GTK patch - only for GTK >= version 2? (and hence GNOME 2)
@ 2003-01-15 23:29 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-15 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    It seems that the GTK patch by Jan only works with for GTK+ version 2
    (and hence GNOME 2) and later.

Supporting the current/new version of GTK is most important.  All else
being equal it would be nice to support GTK 1, but if that is extra work,
it is not the most important priority.