* After Jan 30 update, gnus nnmh marks all messages unread when entering group
@ 2021-02-16 16:05 Barry Fishman
From: Barry Fishman @ 2021-02-16 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

When entering a nnmh group, all the already read articles are shown.
This does not seem to happen with the nnimap and nntp backends that I
also use.

--
Barry Fishman

* Re: After Jan 30 update, gnus nnmh marks all messages unread when entering group
@ 2021-02-16 21:56 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-02-16 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barry Fishman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Barry Fishman <barry@ecubist.org> writes:

> When entering a nnmh group, all the already read articles are shown.
> This does not seem to happen with the nnimap and nntp backends that I
> also use.

You don't say what version of Emacs you're using, but I'm unable to
reproduce this in the current Emacs 28.

* Re: After Jan 30 update, gnus nnmh marks all messages unread when entering group
@ 2021-02-16 22:54   ` Barry Fishman
From: Barry Fishman @ 2021-02-16 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2021-02-16 22:56:18 +01, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Barry Fishman <barry@ecubist.org> writes:
>
>> When entering a nnmh group, all the already read articles are shown.
>> This does not seem to happen with the nnimap and nntp backends that I
>> also use.
>
> You don't say what version of Emacs you're using, but I'm unable to
> reproduce this in the current Emacs 28.

Oh... :-(

This is on the master branch.  I had thought it was simply a lexical
binding issue, since it was triggered with the gnus lexical binding
commit, and my other issues with it were fixed in updates (like the
gnus-article-browse-html-parts fix).

However,  now using an "emacs -q" and doing a simple setq gnus-select-method,
things work OK.  I will have to do some bisecting of my own setup.

Thanks for your feedback.
--

@ 2021-02-17  4:06     ` Barry Fishman
From: Barry Fishman @ 2021-02-17  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2021-02-16 17:54:39 -05, Barry Fishman wrote:
> On 2021-02-16 22:56:18 +01, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> Barry Fishman <barry@ecubist.org> writes:
>>
>>> When entering a nnmh group, all the already read articles are shown.
>>> This does not seem to happen with the nnimap and nntp backends that I
>>> also use.
>>
>> You don't say what version of Emacs you're using, but I'm unable to
>> reproduce this in the current Emacs 28.
>
> Oh... :-(
>
> This is on the master branch.  I had thought it was simply a lexical
> binding issue, since it was triggered with the gnus lexical binding
> commit, and my other issues with it were fixed in updates (like the
> gnus-article-browse-html-parts fix).
>
> However,  now using an "emacs -q" and doing a simple setq gnus-select-method,
> things work OK.  I will have to do some bisecting of my own setup.

It turns out that the problem is that I do:

(setq nnmh-be-safe t)

I did this because I use NMH from the command line to move and delete
messages, and repack folders, and I thought it would be needed so gnus
would not get confused.  Was I wrong?

After the update, however, with nnmh-be-safe set, gnus just decides that
all the messages in the folder are unread.

--

@ 2021-02-17 11:33       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-02-17 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barry Fishman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Barry Fishman <barry@ecubist.org> writes:

> It turns out that the problem is that I do:
>
> (setq nnmh-be-safe t)
>
> I did this because I use NMH from the command line to move and delete
> messages, and repack folders, and I thought it would be needed so gnus
> would not get confused.  Was I wrong?

No, that sounds like the correct thing to do.

> After the update, however, with nnmh-be-safe set, gnus just decides that
> all the messages in the folder are unread.

I tried

(setq nnmh-be-safe t)

and then started Gnus, selected an nnmh group, read a couple of
messages, `g', entered the group again, and everything seems to work as
it's supposed to.

What do you do to reproduce the problem?

* Re: After Jan 30 update, gnus nnmh marks all messages unread when entering group
@ 2021-02-17 14:31         ` Barry Fishman
From: Barry Fishman @ 2021-02-17 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2021-02-17 12:33:49 +01, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Barry Fishman <barry@ecubist.org> writes:
>> After the update, however, with nnmh-be-safe set, gnus just decides that
>> all the messages in the folder are unread.
>
> I tried
>
> (setq nnmh-be-safe t)
>
> and then started Gnus, selected an nnmh group, read a couple of
> messages, `g', entered the group again, and everything seems to work as
> it's supposed to.
>
> What do you do to reproduce the problem?

Actually the same thing, but in the context of the rest of my Gnus/Emacs
setup.

It looks like I am going to need to look at re-building my Gnus
configuration from scratch.  This will take a while.  My setup has
evolved almost as long as Gnus has existed.

--
Barry Fishman