* Which "on change" hooks `smerge-mode` hooks up to?
@ 2023-05-31 13:26 Konstantin Kharlamov
From: Konstantin Kharlamov @ 2023-05-31 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I spent some hours trying to debug a problem with highlight getting stuck and I
figured, might just ask at this point more acknowledgeable people.

Problem I debug is basically, that in certain conditions a conflict marker
highlight gets stuck even after the marker was removed.

I figured that I probably need smerge-mode to rescan the buffer if the buffer
was reverted (that only happens when autorevert is enabled). I presume smerge-
mode already does it because it usually removes highlight upon manually removing
conflict markers. And that logic probably has some bug in it.

So, my question is, what "on change" hooks smerge-mode uses to detect that a
change to the buffer has been made to check whether conflict markers are still
in place? I tried searching for the word "hook" over the smerge-mode.el but
didn't find anything relevant.

* Re: Which "on change" hooks `smerge-mode` hooks up to?
@ 2023-06-01 11:35 ` Daniel Martín
From: Daniel Martín @ 2023-06-01 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Kharlamov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru> writes:

> I spent some hours trying to debug a problem with highlight getting stuck and I
> figured, might just ask at this point more acknowledgeable people.
>
> Problem I debug is basically, that in certain conditions a conflict marker
> highlight gets stuck even after the marker was removed.
>
> I figured that I probably need smerge-mode to rescan the buffer if the buffer
> was reverted (that only happens when autorevert is enabled). I presume smerge-
> mode already does it because it usually removes highlight upon manually removing
> conflict markers. And that logic probably has some bug in it.
>
> So, my question is, what "on change" hooks smerge-mode uses to detect that a
> change to the buffer has been made to check whether conflict markers are still
> in place? I tried searching for the word "hook" over the smerge-mode.el but
> didn't find anything relevant.

If font-lock is enabled, smerge-mode uses it to fontify the conflicting
regions.  See smerge-font-lock-keywords.  So perhaps the regular
font-lock debugging techniques might help you investigate this issue in
more detail.

Also, if you have some steps to reproduce it, you could also create a
bug report by using M-x report-emacs-bug.  Thanks.

* Re: Which "on change" hooks `smerge-mode` hooks up to?
@ 2023-06-14 11:49   ` Konstantin Kharlamov
From: Konstantin Kharlamov @ 2023-06-14 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Martín; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, 2023-06-01 at 13:35 +0200, Daniel Martín wrote:
> Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru> writes:
>
> > I spent some hours trying to debug a problem with highlight getting stuck
> > and I
> > figured, might just ask at this point more acknowledgeable people.
> >
> > Problem I debug is basically, that in certain conditions a conflict marker
> > highlight gets stuck even after the marker was removed.
> >
> > I figured that I probably need smerge-mode to rescan the buffer if the
> > buffer
> > was reverted (that only happens when autorevert is enabled). I presume
> > smerge-
> > mode already does it because it usually removes highlight upon manually
> > removing
> > conflict markers. And that logic probably has some bug in it.
> >
> > So, my question is, what "on change" hooks smerge-mode uses to detect that a
> > change to the buffer has been made to check whether conflict markers are
> > still
> > in place? I tried searching for the word "hook" over the smerge-mode.el but
> > didn't find anything relevant.
>
> If font-lock is enabled, smerge-mode uses it to fontify the conflicting
> regions.  See smerge-font-lock-keywords.  So perhaps the regular
> font-lock debugging techniques might help you investigate this issue in
> more detail.

I see, thanks

Sorry it took so long, got stuck in some personal stuff. I reported a bug here https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64063