* beginners elisp question - parallel execution
@ 2020-11-17 18:01 simon254
From: simon254 @ 2020-11-17 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Hi,

sorry if this is a very dumb question:

in the past there were discussions about multi threading in emacs. My impression is that where most of a performance gain like this would be useful is for e.g. computing fuzzy scores for a long list of candidates or similar things.

Would it be possible to introduce something like pure functions in fortran too elisp? I.e. functions that are not allowed to have side effects and for example act only on one list element? This could then be given to a new "number crunching" routine (mapcar_para?) which applies them in parallel to a list (via openmp or whatever)? Or is the concept already flawed?

Again, sorry if this is dumb,

Simon

* Re: beginners elisp question - parallel execution
@ 2020-11-17 20:19 ` Qiantan Hong
From: Qiantan Hong @ 2020-11-17 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: simon254@mailbox.org; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org