* casual contributing with git
@ 2019-05-19  1:41 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-05-19  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

I've been reading the docs here:

"GitForEmacsDevs"
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GitForEmacsDevs

and here:

"GitQuickStartForEmacsDevs"
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GitQuickStartForEmacsDevs

And they all mention git push *even* for the "casual developer" (supposedly the one who does not have write access).

Obviously, I can commit on my local master but trying to push anything is not possible and then when I do a git pull to update master I end up with all sorts of conflicts.

Not all casual developers are git masters so it would be nice to have a clearly documented process for them.

So, what's the best way to work for the casual developer who doesn't have write access ?

Should we create a branch where we work and that we keep in sync with master?

> On Jul 5, 2017, at 2:51, Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> wrote:
>
> Workspaces are cheap; I keep a full checkout of master, and one of each
> branch I'm working on, at all times.

Is that the recommended way ?

I'm ready to update the above docs when I have something that works and that is approved here.

Jean-Christophe Helary