* [ELPA] New package proposal: hiddenquote.el
@ 2021-01-27 22:10 Mauro Aranda
From: Mauro Aranda @ 2021-01-27 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Prompted by this post:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-01/msg00946.html

I decided to polish my private package for doing a word puzzle that I
really like, and made it public.  It can be found here:
https://gitlab.com/mauroaranda/hiddenquote/hiddenquote

I don't know of any english sources for this kind of word puzzles, but I
put together 4 sample puzzles so people can see if they like it.  The 4
puzzles can be retrieved locally, but if there is enough interest I'll
try to keep adding puzzles that can be downloaded via the internet.

I'd like to know if this package would be welcome as an ELPA package.

Usage would be:

Clone/Download and add to load-path the directory.
M-x load-library RET hiddenquote
M-x hiddenquote
Choose 0, to retrieve the newest puzzle (with a prefix argument, you can
choose the puzzle number -- from 1 to 4) from the puzzles directory.
Type RET.  Once the puzzle loads (I recommend typing M-f10 so the puzzle
looks better), start completing the grid with the right words (read the
clues in the Definitions buffer), and using the syllables from the
Syllables buffer.  Mark them as used by clicking them or typing RET.

Best regards,
Mauro.

* Re: [ELPA] New package proposal: hiddenquote.el
@ 2021-02-09  7:07 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-02-09  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Aranda; +Cc: emacs-devel

* Mauro Aranda <maurooaranda@gmail.com> [2021-01-28 01:11]:
> Prompted by this post:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-01/msg00946.html
>
> I decided to polish my private package for doing a word puzzle that I
> really like, and made it public.  It can be found here:
> https://gitlab.com/mauroaranda/hiddenquote/hiddenquote
>
> I don't know of any english sources for this kind of word puzzles, but I
> put together 4 sample puzzles so people can see if they like it.  The 4
> puzzles can be retrieved locally, but if there is enough interest I'll
> try to keep adding puzzles that can be downloaded via the internet.
>
> I'd like to know if this package would be welcome as an ELPA
> package.

That is very nice package, entertaining.

I think it requires a wizard function to create puzzles by users for
other users. Does that exist? Then we can start creating puzzles.

I would prefer that puzzle definition file is in the Emacs Lisp data
format and not other format. Can that be done?

I would also prefer to be able to switch to the *Hidden Puzzle*
buffer by using `windmove-up' function or C-x o. But it does not
work. Why not? In that window are words which user might want to
access by using dictionary. But they cannot be accessed. Moving into
that window works by mouse but not by keys, so why not enable keys?

Jean

* Re: [ELPA] New package proposal: hiddenquote.el
@ 2021-02-09 12:16   ` Mauro Aranda
From: Mauro Aranda @ 2021-02-09 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Mauro Aranda <maurooaranda@gmail.com> [2021-01-28 01:11]:

>> I'd like to know if this package would be welcome as an ELPA
>> package.
>
> That is very nice package, entertaining.

Thank you.

> I think it requires a wizard function to create puzzles by users for
> other users. Does that exist? Then we can start creating puzzles.

I have an ELisp program to create puzzles, but it needs a lot more work
before it can be published.

> I would prefer that puzzle definition file is in the Emacs Lisp data
> format and not other format. Can that be done?

It can be done; in fact, I used eieio-persistent when I wrote it for
myself.  However, I don't see many advantages of going back to that
format now, specially for distributing puzzles.

> I would also prefer to be able to switch to the *Hidden Puzzle*
> buffer by using `windmove-up' function or C-x o. But it does not
> work. Why not? In that window are words which user might want to
> access by using dictionary. But they cannot be accessed. Moving into
> that window works by mouse but not by keys, so why not enable keys?

Do you mean the Definitions window? I put a non-nil no-other-window
parameter to that window, so it's quicker to C-x o to the Syllables
window to mark syllables as used.  But I can see how that can be
undesirable at times, so at the very least I'll make it customizable.

Thanks for taking a look.