* Re: Complex paragraph filling - how?
@ 2003-05-28 23:26 ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2003-05-28 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   In connection with the refilling of paragraphs in info due to the new
   "node hiding", I need some way to fill things like the following in a
   sensible manner:

Please post your Texinfo source code.  It does us no good to see a
surface expression.  Also, how well does the source format for DVI and
HTML?  (And shouldn't this question really go to the texinfo-bug list?
That is where refilling issues like this are usually discussed.)

Thank you.

    http://www.teak.cc                             bob@rattlesnake.com

* Complex paragraph filling - how?
@ 2003-05-29  0:22 Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2003-05-29  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

In connection with the refilling of paragraphs in info due to the new
"node hiding", I need some way to fill things like the following in a
sensible manner:

 - Scheme Procedure: open path flags [mode]
 - C Function: scm_open (path, flags, mode)
     Open the file named by PATH for reading and/or writing.  FLAGS is
     an integer specifying how the file should be opened.  MODE is an
     integer specifying the permission bits of the file, if it needs to
     be created, before the umask, see Top, is applied.  The
     default is 666 (Unix itself has no default).

A simple (fill-paragraph nil) produces this result:

 - Scheme Procedure: open path flags [mode] C Function: scm_open
 - (path, flags, mode) Open the file named by PATH for reading and/or
 - writing.  FLAGS is an integer specifying how the file should be
 - opened.  MODE is an integer specifying the permission bits of the
 - file, if it needs to be created, before the umask, see Top, is
 - applied.  The default is 666 (Unix itself has no default).

But I want it to do like this:

 - Scheme Procedure: open path flags [mode]
 - C Function: scm_open (path, flags, mode)
     Open the file named by PATH for reading and/or writing.  FLAGS is
     an integer specifying how the file should be opened.  MODE is an
     integer specifying the permission bits of the file, if it needs
     to be created, before the umask, see Top is applied.  The default
     is 666 (Unix itself has no default).

i.e. it should recognize the difference in indentation and lines
starting with a - (and maybe more?) as separate paragraphs.

Do any of you have an ideas how to this e.g. by tweaking the
paragraph related regexps.

* Re: Complex paragraph filling - how?
@ 2003-05-30  1:01   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2003-05-30  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:

>    In connection with the refilling of paragraphs in info due to the new
>    "node hiding", I need some way to fill things like the following in a
>    sensible manner:
>
> Please post your Texinfo source code.  It does us no good to see a
> surface expression.  Also, how well does the source format for DVI and
> HTML?  (And shouldn't this question really go to the texinfo-bug list?
> That is where refilling issues like this are usually discussed.)

I probably expressed myself wrong...

I'm trying to solve a specific problem with Info-fontify-node in
info.el, so I'm talking about re-filling the output from makeinfo
after the links have been mangled...

So I don't see why this is an issue for the Texinfo team!

In any case, I think I have found a working solution by using
the following settings:

	(let ((fill-nobreak-invisible t)
	      (fill-individual-varying-indent nil)
	      (paragraph-start "\f\\|[ \t]*[-*]\\|[ \t]*$")
	      (paragraph-separate "[ \t]*[-*]\\|[ \t\f]*$")
	      (adaptive-fill-mode nil))

and then use fill-individual-paragraphs to do the filling.

Seems to DWIM, but I need to test it some more.