* read-file-name argument clash with xemacs
@ 2002-08-10  5:36 Noah Friedman
From: Noah Friedman @ 2002-08-10  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: kyle_jones

XEmacs's 6th argument to read-file-name is a history list variable.
In the Emacs development sources, it's a predicate.

This is a somewhat nasty situation because functions which currently
inspect the argument list or use a condition-case to trap
wrong-number-of-arguments, are suddenly failing.

So I suggest adding the history variable support to Emacs and moving the
predicate out to the 7th argument.  Any objections?

* Re: read-file-name argument clash with xemacs
@ 2002-08-11  3:55 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-08-11  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, kyle_jones

    So I suggest adding the history variable support to Emacs and moving the
    predicate out to the 7th argument.

Ok.  The predicate arg feature was added since the last release so
there is no problem in changing it now.  Would you like to do this?

Please change the appropriate callers, too.

* Re: read-file-name argument clash with xemacs
@ 2002-08-11 21:18   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-08-11 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: friedman, emacs-devel, kyle_jones

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     So I suggest adding the history variable support to Emacs and moving the
>     predicate out to the 7th argument.
>
> Ok.  The predicate arg feature was added since the last release so
> there is no problem in changing it now.  Would you like to do this?
>
> Please change the appropriate callers, too.

Remember to change read-file-name-function and it uses (e.g. ido-read-file-name) too.