* Choice for not using hollow box cursor
@ 2002-03-12 19:58 Tak Ota
From: Tak Ota @ 2002-03-12 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Due to my selection of cursor color and default face color the hollow
box cursor makes the character underneath hard to read.  Currently I
have to make the following kludge modification in order to satisfy my
visual need.

Shouldn't it be the user choice? (the choice: blink between filled box
and hollow box or blink between filled box and blank).

-Tak

*** w32term.c.orig	Thu Mar  7 07:43:57 2002
--- w32term.c	Tue Mar 12 11:43:38 2002
***************
*** 9852,9858 ****
        switch (new_cursor_type)
  	{
  	case HOLLOW_BOX_CURSOR:
! 	  x_draw_hollow_cursor (w, glyph_row);
  	  break;

  	case FILLED_BOX_CURSOR:
--- 9852,9858 ----
        switch (new_cursor_type)
  	{
  	case HOLLOW_BOX_CURSOR:
! 	  /* x_draw_hollow_cursor (w, glyph_row); */
  	  break;

  	case FILLED_BOX_CURSOR:

* Re: Choice for not using hollow box cursor
@ 2002-03-13 10:58 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-03-13 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Shouldn't it be the user choice? (the choice: blink between filled box
    and hollow box or blink between filled box and blank).

Is this user option really necessary?  We should not add a new user
option just because its definition is meaningful and *someone* might
want it, because that would make Emacs even more bloated.  We have to
*try* to keep the growth of user options in check, by adding only
those that are substantially important--those that we expect
more than a few users would want.

* Re: Choice for not using hollow box cursor
@ 2002-03-13 13:48   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-03-13 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Takaaki.Ota, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     Shouldn't it be the user choice? (the choice: blink between filled box
>     and hollow box or blink between filled box and blank).
>
> Is this user option really necessary?  We should not add a new user
> option just because its definition is meaningful and *someone* might
> want it, because that would make Emacs even more bloated.  We have to
> *try* to keep the growth of user options in check, by adding only
> those that are substantially important--those that we expect
> more than a few users would want.

There is already one user option: Turn off the blinking cursor.

* Re: Choice for not using hollow box cursor
@ 2002-03-23 20:45     ` Tak Ota
From: Tak Ota @ 2002-03-23 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

13 Mar 2002 14:48:35 +0100: storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) wrote:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >     Shouldn't it be the user choice? (the choice: blink between filled box
> >     and hollow box or blink between filled box and blank).
> >
> > Is this user option really necessary?  We should not add a new user
> > option just because its definition is meaningful and *someone* might
> > want it, because that would make Emacs even more bloated.  We have to
> > *try* to keep the growth of user options in check, by adding only
> > those that are substantially important--those that we expect
> > more than a few users would want.
>
> There is already one user option: Turn off the blinking cursor.

I have been thinking how to achieve what I want without introducing a
new option.  I want the cursor to be blinking because it is easy to
find it at a glance.  But I don't want the hollow box cursor while it
blinks because it really obscures the character beneath it on my
display.

By default the hollow box cursor is used in non-selected buffers also,
so I turn it off by setting `cursor-in-non-selected-windows' to nil
as well.

I wonder if it is an acceptable behavior to disable hollow box cursor
when `cursor-in-non-selected-windows' is nil?  I tried it and found
that it intuitively and visually made sense (although the logic is a
little bit mixed up) since `cursor-in-non-selected-windows' controls
the appearance/disappearance of hollow box cursor both in the selected
window and non-selected windows all together.

The patch for this is quite simple.  Could you try and feel it?

-Tak

*** ../../tmp/emacs-21.2.50/src/xterm.c	Fri Mar 22 07:52:48 2002
--- xterm.c	Sat Mar 23 12:10:11 2002
***************
*** 11662,11668 ****
  						       &new_cursor_width);
  	  if (w->cursor_off_p)
  	    {
! 	      if (new_cursor_type == FILLED_BOX_CURSOR)
  		new_cursor_type = HOLLOW_BOX_CURSOR;
  	      else if (new_cursor_type == BAR_CURSOR && new_cursor_width > 1)
  		new_cursor_width = 1;
--- 11662,11668 ----
  						       &new_cursor_width);
  	  if (w->cursor_off_p)
  	    {
! 	      if (new_cursor_type == FILLED_BOX_CURSOR && cursor_non_selected)
  		new_cursor_type = HOLLOW_BOX_CURSOR;
  	      else if (new_cursor_type == BAR_CURSOR && new_cursor_width > 1)
  		new_cursor_width = 1;
[ota@TAK_4100 src]$ diff -c ../../tmp/emacs-21.2.50/src/w32term.c w32term.c
*** ../../tmp/emacs-21.2.50/src/w32term.c	Fri Mar 22 20:58:02 2002
--- w32term.c	Sat Mar 23 12:09:10 2002
***************
*** 9772,9778 ****
  						       &new_cursor_width);
  	  if (w->cursor_off_p)
  	    {
! 	      if (new_cursor_type == FILLED_BOX_CURSOR)
  		new_cursor_type = HOLLOW_BOX_CURSOR;
  	      else if (new_cursor_type == BAR_CURSOR && new_cursor_width > 1)
  		new_cursor_width = 1;
--- 9772,9778 ----
  						       &new_cursor_width);
  	  if (w->cursor_off_p)