* [Glenn Morris <gmorris@ast.cam.ac.uk>] frame-height and make-frame inconsistency
@ 2003-04-01 22:47 Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2003-04-01 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: gmorris

Glenn Morris has found a case where the previously inactive code
that "adds height of tool-bar to frame height" causes problems.

> In the current CVS, the value returned by frame-height does not seem
> to be consistent with that used by make-frame.
>
> To reproduce:
>
> mv ~/.Xdefaults ~/.Xdefaults.off    (if applicable)
>
> emacs -q --no-site-file
>
> (make-frame `(,(cons 'width (frame-width))
> 	      ,(cons 'height (frame-height))))
>
> Under 21.3, the new frame has the same dimensions as the old frame.
> Under 21.3.50, the new one is taller (by the height of the tool-bar, AFAICS).
>

> Configuration options in both cases (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit):
>
> --without-xim --with-x --with-x-toolkit=athena  --without-toolkit-scroll-bars

It would seem that the automatic resizing should only be applied to
the initial frame, but then C-x 5 f doesn't make a frame of the same
size as the initial frame.

Maybe the proper fix is to let frame-height return the height excl.
the tool-bar.

Actually, a superficial skimming through various pieces of lisp code
seem to assume that frame-height doesn't include the tool-bar height,
so maybe it would be more appropriate for frame-parameters to return
the height excl. the tool-bar height.

The change is simple, but I'm not sure what the implications are...

* Re: [Glenn Morris <gmorris@ast.cam.ac.uk>] frame-height andmake-frame inconsistency
@ 2003-04-07 17:22 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-04-07 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Maybe the proper fix is to let frame-height return the height excl.
    the tool-bar.

    Actually, a superficial skimming through various pieces of lisp code
    seem to assume that frame-height doesn't include the tool-bar height,
    so maybe it would be more appropriate for frame-parameters to return
    the height excl. the tool-bar height.

To do this consistently would be a good idea, but you may find
several changes are needed to make this consistent.

For instance, it would be important to make sure that turning the tool
bar on and off properly preserves the frame height (which doesn't
count the tool bar).

Would you like to try to do all this?

* Re: [Glenn Morris <gmorris@ast.cam.ac.uk>] frame-height and make-frame inconsistency
@ 2003-04-08 16:18   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2003-04-08 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     Maybe the proper fix is to let frame-height return the height excl.
>     the tool-bar.
>
>     Actually, a superficial skimming through various pieces of lisp code
>     seem to assume that frame-height doesn't include the tool-bar height,
>     so maybe it would be more appropriate for frame-parameters to return
>     the height excl. the tool-bar height.
>
> To do this consistently would be a good idea, but you may find
> several changes are needed to make this consistent.

It will not be trivial, but I guess it can be done.

> For instance, it would be important to make sure that turning the tool
> bar on and off properly preserves the frame height (which doesn't
> count the tool bar).
>
> Would you like to try to do all this?

I'll take a look at it, but no promises :-)