* Bug report statistics on OS and arch
@ 2017-03-11  0:44 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2017-03-11  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Because it's Friday afternoon, some statistics from the Emacs bug database.
These don't represent anything other than who is making bug reports
(and including the template information), and are just for your amusement.
I haven't done anything fancy like include each distinct reporter email
address only once, so a particularly enthusiastic bug reporter could
skew the results. [1]

Based on the arch triplets (eg x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu) in the
"In GNU Emacs (xxx)" lines (11023 reports dating back 9 years):

5851 linux-gnu (53%)
3294 mingw     (30%)
1627 apple     (15%)
 111 cygwin     (1%)
  61 freebsd    (<1%)
  39 solaris
  22 netbsd
  10 openbsd
   4 aix
   2 hpux
   1 irix
   1 kfreebsd-gnu

5899 i?86     (54%)
4787 x86_64   (43%)
 174 powerpc   (2%)
  83 mips      (<1%)
  32 sparc
  31 amd64
  13 arm
   2 hppa
   1 ia64
   1 alpha

Based on the "System Distribution:" lines (2327 reports dating back 4.5 years):

866 Ubuntu   (37%)
691 Debian   (30%)
187 Fedora    (8%)
148 Arch      (6%)
104 SUSE      (4%)
 92 Gentoo    (4%)
 75 Mint      (3%)
 72 RHEL      (3%)
 26 Trisquel  (1%)
 24 gNewSense (1%)
  9 CentOS    (<1%)
  8 elementary OS
  4 Scientific Linux
  3 Devuan
  3 LMDE
  3 Raspbian
 11 Other, none with > 2

[1] If I tell you that one person is responsible for 10% of the 18500
Emacs bug reports over the past 9 years (next most enthusiastic is me
with 2%), you can see that this effect can be significant.

* Re: Bug report statistics on OS and arch
@ 2017-03-11 19:11 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2017-03-11 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

1648 "Configured features" reports over the past 2 years.
Some percentages could be misleading because we only started recording
some features part way through that time.

ZLIB                 1600 (97%)
NOTIFY               1525 (93%)
LIBXML2              1502 (91%)
JPEG                 1411 (86%)
XPM                  1309 (79%)
SOUND                1309 (79%)
PNG                  1308 (79%)
GNUTLS               1308 (79%)
TIFF                 1288 (78%)
GIF                  1277 (77%)
RSVG                 1190 (72%)
FREETYPE             1107 (67%)
XFT                  1106 (67%)
ACL                  1072 (65%)
DBUS                 1039 (63%)
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS  1028 (62%)
GSETTINGS            1004 (61%)
IMAGEMAGICK           911 (55%)
X11                   805 (49%)
LIBOTF                797 (48%)
M17N_FLT              712 (43%)
GPM                   660 (40%)
GCONF                 652 (40%)
GTK3                  593 (36%)
LIBSELINUX            496 (30%)
NS                    269 (16%)
MODULES               212 (13%)
LUCID                 128  (8%)
XAW3D                 115  (7%)
XWIDGETS              103  (6%)
GTK2                   92  (6%)
LIBSYSTEMD             39  (2%)
CAIRO                  23  (1%)
MOTIF                   1  (<1%)

* Re: Bug report statistics on OS and arch
@ 2017-03-15  0:39   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2017-03-15  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've now done this with a bit more rigour. And graphs!
Now each bug reporter email is only counted once per year.
(The biggest effect of this is a drop in the mingw %.)

See: http://debbugs.gnu.org/stats/emacs.html

I don't think we really learn anything that we didn't know before.