* vc-hg-rename-file does not expand the file name arguments
@ 2010-01-26  3:58 Alex Harsanyi
From: Alex Harsanyi @ 2010-01-26  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I believe there is a problem with the implementation of
`vc-hg-rename-file`, in the call:  (vc-hg-command nil 0 new "mv" old),
only the NEW parameter will be expanded using `expand-file-name`,
because `vc-hg-command` treats it as a file. The OLD parameter is not
expanded because it is treated as a flag.  The problem is that
`vc-rename-file` will read a file name from he minibuffer and pass in
a filename like "~/Projects/test-repo/file1.txt" to the function.
This name is passed directly to the "hg" executable which will fail
because the file does not exist (hg does not do file-name expansion
internally).

For example, create the following mercurial repository:

$ mkdir ~/test-repo
$ cd ~/test-repo
$ hg init .
$ echo Hello > ./file1.txt
$ hg add file1.txt
$ hg commit -m "File1 added"

Now, open file1.txt in Emacs, and try to rename it using "M-x
vc-rename-file".  The rename will fail and the *vc* buffer will
contain:

~/test-repo/file1.txt: No such file or directory
abort: no files to copy

I believe the simplest fix is to call `expand-file-name` on the file
names before passing them to the "hg" command.

Based on the comment in the code, I think the same problem exists with
the bzr backend as well.

Cheers,
Alex.

* Re: vc-hg-rename-file does not expand the file name arguments
@ 2010-01-26  6:24 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2010-01-26  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Harsanyi; +Cc: emacs-devel

Alex Harsanyi <alexharsanyi@gmail.com> writes:

  > I believe there is a problem with the implementation of
  > `vc-hg-rename-file`, in the call:  (vc-hg-command nil 0 new "mv" old),
  > only the NEW parameter will be expanded using `expand-file-name`,
  > because `vc-hg-command` treats it as a file. The OLD parameter is not
  > expanded because it is treated as a flag.  The problem is that
  > `vc-rename-file` will read a file name from he minibuffer and pass in
  > a filename like "~/Projects/test-repo/file1.txt" to the function.
  > This name is passed directly to the "hg" executable which will fail
  > because the file does not exist (hg does not do file-name expansion
  > internally).
  >
  > For example, create the following mercurial repository:
  >
  > $ mkdir ~/test-repo
  > $ cd ~/test-repo
  > $ hg init .
  > $ echo Hello > ./file1.txt
  > $ hg add file1.txt
  > $ hg commit -m "File1 added"
  >
  > Now, open file1.txt in Emacs, and try to rename it using "M-x
  > vc-rename-file".  The rename will fail and the *vc* buffer will
  > contain:
  >
  > ~/test-repo/file1.txt: No such file or directory
  > abort: no files to copy
  >
  > I believe the simplest fix is to call `expand-file-name` on the file
  > names before passing them to the "hg" command.
  >
  > Based on the comment in the code, I think the same problem exists with
  > the bzr backend as well.

It would be better if vc-rename-file would do the name expansion so that
backends do not have to.

* Re: vc-hg-rename-file does not expand the file name arguments
@ 2012-12-28 15:10 ` Jürgen A. Erhard
From: Jürgen A. Erhard @ 2012-12-28 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:58:09AM +0800, Alex Harsanyi wrote:
> I believe there is a problem with the implementation of
> `vc-hg-rename-file`, in the call:  (vc-hg-command nil 0 new "mv" old),
> only the NEW parameter will be expanded using `expand-file-name`,
> because `vc-hg-command` treats it as a file. The OLD parameter is not
> expanded because it is treated as a flag.  The problem is that
> `vc-rename-file` will read a file name from he minibuffer and pass in
> a filename like "~/Projects/test-repo/file1.txt" to the function.
> This name is passed directly to the "hg" executable which will fail
> because the file does not exist (hg does not do file-name expansion
> internally).
>
> For example, create the following mercurial repository:
>
> $ mkdir ~/test-repo
> $ cd ~/test-repo
> $ hg init .
> $ echo Hello > ./file1.txt
> $ hg add file1.txt
> $ hg commit -m "File1 added"
>
> Now, open file1.txt in Emacs, and try to rename it using "M-x
> vc-rename-file".  The rename will fail and the *vc* buffer will
> contain:
>
> ~/test-repo/file1.txt: No such file or directory
> abort: no files to copy
>
> I believe the simplest fix is to call `expand-file-name` on the file
> names before passing them to the "hg" command.
>
> Based on the comment in the code, I think the same problem exists with
> the bzr backend as well.

Seems the bzr backend has been fixed.  Since it's the main Emacs repo,
that's not surprising.

Bump to get a fix in.

Grits, J

PS: Sorry for that earlier direct reply, Alex.

* Re: vc-hg-rename-file does not expand the file name arguments
@ 2012-12-28 19:37   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-12-28 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jürgen A. Erhard; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jürgen A. Erhard wrote:

> Bump to get a fix in.

Please send a bug report to bug-gnu-emacs.
This is not just pointless bureaucracy, it's to make it less likely
things get ignored/overlooked.