* Eglot rename, create, delete support
@ 2024-03-04 18:00 me
From: me @ 2024-03-04 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

The Language Server Protocol spec allows for servers to send requests to the
client (in this case Emacs/Eglot) to create, rename or delete files in the
project if the client advertises that it can do “resourceOperations”
[https://microsoft.github.io/language-server-protocol/specifications/lsp/3.17/specification/#resourceChanges].
Unfortunately Eglot does not support this in either HEAD or in Emacs 29. It’s
particularly useful for Java since the compiler for that language refuses to
compile a file if the name of a type does not match the file name, as well as
code actions for moving types from one package (namespace) to another.

I have a patch that adds support for rename requests to Eglot inside an
extension package for connecting to a Java language server, but it is very
hacky because it needs to advise eglot--apply-workspace-edit which will
mishandle parsing if it encounters an object with a different type than
TextDocumentEdit inside a workspace edit response
[https://microsoft.github.io/language-server-protocol/specifications/lsp/3.17/specification/#workspaceEdit].
Really, though, this code should be inside Eglot itself. I would share it on
the list but I do not have my copyright assigned yet, it's pushing around 125
lines with just rename support. As well I would like some review and to write
some tests as these are potentially destructive operations and I would like to
handle all the potential corner cases that might arise.

If someone could send me the copyright assignment forms that would be grand.

   	   Lina

* Eglot rename, create, delete support
@ 2024-03-04 19:18 Lina Bhaile
From: Lina Bhaile @ 2024-03-04 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

(Resending due to wrong From:)

[...]

* Re: Eglot rename, create, delete support
@ 2024-03-04 20:14 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-03-04 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lina Bhaile; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 19:18:36 +0000
> From: "Lina Bhaile" <emacs-devel@linabee.uk>
>
> (Resending due to wrong From:)
>
> Hi all,
>
> The Language Server Protocol spec allows for servers to send requests to the
> client (in this case Emacs/Eglot) to create, rename or delete files in the
> project if the client advertises that it can do “resourceOperations”
> [https://microsoft.github.io/language-server-protocol/specifications/lsp/3.17/specification/#resourceChanges].
> Unfortunately Eglot does not support this in either HEAD or in Emacs 29. It’s
> particularly useful for Java since the compiler for that language refuses to
> compile a file if the name of a type does not match the file name, as well as
> code actions for moving types from one package (namespace) to another.
>
> I have a patch that adds support for rename requests to Eglot inside an
> extension package for connecting to a Java language server, but it is very
> hacky because it needs to advise eglot--apply-workspace-edit which will
> mishandle parsing if it encounters an object with a different type than
> TextDocumentEdit inside a workspace edit response
> [https://microsoft.github.io/language-server-protocol/specifications/lsp/3.17/specification/#workspaceEdit].
> Really, though, this code should be inside Eglot itself. I would share it on
> the list but I do not have my copyright assigned yet, it's pushing around 125
> lines with just rename support. As well I would like some review and to write
> some tests as these are potentially destructive operations and I would like to
> handle all the potential corner cases that might arise.
>
> If someone could send me the copyright assignment forms that would be grand.

Form sent off-list.

When you are ready with the patch, please post it to our issue tracker
using "M-x submit-emacs-patch", preferably in the form generated by
"git format-patch".  You could post it while your legal paperwork is
still in progress, because patch review takes some time, and you might
get review comments to follow up on.

Thanks.