* gdb-setup-windows
@ 2016-04-24 22:12 Alexandre Bacquart
From: Alexandre Bacquart @ 2016-04-24 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

There's a bug in gdb UI which bothers me since several years now. That
is enough and I want to get rid of it definitely. But I'm not here to
report it (not the right place), I just want to ask something that I
have been unable to do.

In gdb-mi.el, there's this function gdb-setup-window. This function is
used to setup the 6 windows layout. Here's my question: when emacs
evaluate this function, in which case the (selected-window) is NOT a
window representing the buffer gud-comint-buffer? Whatever I do, I have
been unable to make emacs evaluate this function without
(selected-window) being anything else than a gud-comint-buffer window.

------------------------

Now for details: the bug is that each time I run gdb (with
gdb-many-window set), the windows for gud-comint-buffer is set as non
dedicated (which is quite annoying as any action opening a source file
will open it in this window, hiding the gdb command buffer). As far as I
understand it, gud-comint-buffer is supposed to be dedicated.

The only way I found to fix this bug is by replacing:

     (set-window-dedicated-p (selected-window) nil)

with:

     (set-window-dedicated-p (selected-window) t)

I found myself doing that EACH TIME I upgrade my emacs package since
years. I want this comedy to stop. However, that looks too simple. It's
not because I cannot reproduce a wrong behavior in result of this fix
that it's a good one. Hence, my question ;)

Thanks.

--
Alexandre

only message in thread, other threads:[~2016-04-24 22:12 UTC | newest]