* poll_for_input_1 undefined
@ 2014-07-11 16:57 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2014-07-11 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

In the trunk, updated an hour ago:

xterm.c at line 9012 calls poll_for_input_1,
but this is not defined anywhere.

keyboard.c has the only definition for poll_for_input_1
but it is inside #ifdef POLL_FOR_INPUT.
POLL_FOR_INPUT is not defined.

In fact, config.h does not mention POLL_FOR_INPUT, neither to define
it nor not to define it.  That is because config.in does not mention
POLL_FOR_INPUT either.

It appears to me that the trunk is broken on X on all platforms,
and has been since the June 5 change in keyboard.c.

Can that really be true, with nobody noticing?

I'm compiling on the Yeeloong, which is mipsel,
but that should not affect much.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: poll_for_input_1 undefined
@ 2014-07-11 17:34 ` Dmitry Antipov
From: Dmitry Antipov @ 2014-07-11 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 07/11/2014 08:57 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

> In fact, config.h does not mention POLL_FOR_INPUT, neither to define
> it nor not to define it.  That is because config.in does not mention
> POLL_FOR_INPUT either.
>
> It appears to me that the trunk is broken on X on all platforms,
> and has been since the June 5 change in keyboard.c.

This is pretty strange if you look at this configure.in fragment:

if test "$window_system" != "none"; then
   AC_DEFINE(HAVE_WINDOW_SYSTEM, 1, [Define if you have a window system.])
   AC_DEFINE(POLL_FOR_INPUT, 1, [Define if you poll periodically to detect C-g.])
   WINDOW_SYSTEM_OBJ="fontset.o fringe.o image.o"
fi

Can you regenerate build stuff with autogen.sh and check whether it helps?

Dmitry

* Re: poll_for_input_1 undefined
@ 2014-07-11 18:12 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-07-11 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> It appears to me that the trunk is broken on X on all platforms,
> and has been since the June 5 change in keyboard.c.
>
> Can that really be true, with nobody noticing?

Since (IIUC) you build infrequently and do not bootstrap, it is very
unlikely you will be the first person to notice such an error. It is
much more likely that you encounter some random glitch because you did
not do a clean rebuild. I assume that's the case here.

Note that there are automated builds on Emacs that run on several
platforms, in theory after every commit, though in practice they often
don't run quite that often. But normally several times a day.

* Re: poll_for_input_1 undefined
@ 2014-07-11 18:19 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2014-07-11 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> In fact, config.h does not mention POLL_FOR_INPUT, neither to define
> it nor not to define it.  That is because config.in does not mention
> POLL_FOR_INPUT either.

config.in is a generated file.  Unless your host has an instable clock
this will be regenerated automatically.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: poll_for_input_1 undefined
@ 2014-07-12 13:07   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2014-07-12 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

    config.in is a generated file.  Unless your host has an instable clock
    this will be regenerated automatically.

It wasn't regenerated in my case.

(config.in used to be edited manually, and I did not realize that
was no longer the practice.)

I went to src and ran "make -k emacs".
First it recompiled all the .o files in src.
Then it did a recursive make for a library
which reran configure, but without updating config.in.
Then it recompiled the .o files again.
This does not seem right.

--

@ 2014-07-12 13:25     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2014-07-12 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Then it did a recursive make for a library
> which reran configure, but without updating config.in.

config.in isn't generated by configure.  It is generated by autoheader.

> Then it recompiled the .o files again.
> This does not seem right.

Most likely you have inconsistent timestamps due to instable clock.

Andreas.

--

@ 2014-07-12 23:17       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2014-07-12 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

    > Then it recompiled the .o files again.
    > This does not seem right.

    Most likely you have inconsistent timestamps due to instable clock.

Could you explain what you mean by "instable clock"?
My machine's clock seems to advance steadily and properly.

All the files are local on this machine.

From: Richard Stallman @ 2014-07-12 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

    > Then it did a recursive make for a library
    > which reran configure, but without updating config.in.

    config.in isn't generated by configure.  It is generated by autoheader.

The makefile should update config.in before using it.
And it should run configure before compiling the C sources,
if it is going to run configure at all.

--

@ 2014-07-13  0:05         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-07-13  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> The makefile should update config.in before using it.

It does.

> And it should run configure before compiling the C sources,
> if it is going to run configure at all.

It does.

You can test this eg by: touch configure.ac; make.

If you can give a reproducible recipe showing how to get into the state
that you did, things could be improved. But I imagine that even with
a slow machine, it would be quicker and more efficient to just do a
clean rebuild, rather than us all trying to figure it exactly what
happened.

* Re: poll_for_input_1 undefined
@ 2014-07-13  7:25         ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2014-07-13  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Could you explain what you mean by "instable clock"?

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-11/msg00421.html

Andreas.

--

@ 2014-07-13 15:58           ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2014-07-13 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab, Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

I think Richard's problem this time was caused not by clock skew, but
because 'bzr up' significantly changed the build procedure, and then 'cd
src; make -k' did not propagate those changes properly.

I took a shot at fixing this and installed the fix as trunk bzr 117526.
  This fixes only the src subdirectory; I expect lib-src, lisp, and nt
need similar fixes, but one step at a time.

It is a pain that this build-procedure stuff needs to be semi-copied
around from one makefile to another.  One possibility to avoid this
pain, if someone has the time, would be to switch Emacs to a
non-recursive 'make' style [1], which we've already done in other GNU
projects (e.g., coreutils) to good effect.  Another possibility would be
to use Automake.

[1] Miller P. Recursive make considered harmful. AUUGN 1998
Feb;19(1):14-25. http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf

* Re: poll_for_input_1 undefined
From: Richard Stallman @ 2014-07-13 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: schwab, emacs-devel

    > The makefile should update config.in before using it.

    It does.

    > And it should run configure before compiling the C sources,
    > if it is going to run configure at all.

    It does.

It didn't for me yesterday.

I don't have the output saved.  Next time I hope I will remember
to save it.

    If you can give a reproducible recipe showing how to get into the state
    that you did, things could be improved. But I imagine that even with
    a slow machine, it would be quicker and more efficient to just do a
    clean rebuild, rather than us all trying to figure it exactly what
    happened.

This is a bug and it should be fixed.
(I am not sure exactly what "a clean rebuild" means.
'make bootstrap'?  That takes ages.)

--

@ 2014-07-14 20:25             ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2014-07-14 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
> Next time I hope I will remember to save it.

My guess is that you could reproduce the bug as follows:

cd emacs
touch configure.ac
cd src
make -k

However, please don't bother.  Instead, please do this:

cd emacs
bzr up
make

This may take a while, but after that the bug should be fixed, because
of the patch that I contributed in trunk bzr 117526.