* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108762: Replace eshell-defgroup with plain defgroup
       [not found] <E1SjmV7-0004Bb-KL@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2012-06-27 14:08 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-06-27 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

>   Borrowing a trick from vc-sccs.el, wrap the defgroup in a progn
>   so that the whole thing ends up in the generated autoload file,
>   esh-groups.el.

Curious: why do we need that?

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108762: Replace eshell-defgroup with plain defgroup
@ 2012-06-27 16:24   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-06-27 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>   Borrowing a trick from vc-sccs.el, wrap the defgroup in a progn
>>   so that the whole thing ends up in the generated autoload file,
>>   esh-groups.el.
>
> Curious: why do we need that?

Why does the whole thing need to be in esh-groups?
IIRC, because of the way esh-module.el uses that file.
Browsing the eshell-module group is supposed to show you all the other
related groups you can customize and their full descriptions,
without having to load the associated file.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108762: Replace eshell-defgroup with plain defgroup
@ 2012-06-27 21:19     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-06-27 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> Borrowing a trick from vc-sccs.el, wrap the defgroup in a progn
>>> so that the whole thing ends up in the generated autoload file,
>>> esh-groups.el.
>> Curious: why do we need that?
> Why does the whole thing need to be in esh-groups?

No: why do we need to autoload this form?
What fails to happen if we don't?
I thought that custom groups get automatically autoloaded via cus-load.el.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108762: Replace eshell-defgroup with plain defgroup
@ 2012-06-28  0:42       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-06-28  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> No: why do we need to autoload this form?
> What fails to happen if we don't?

IIUC, it is so that you can do:

emacs -Q -l esh-module
M-x customize-variable RET eshell-modules-list RET

and see the full documentation of each piece, without having to load all
the associated files. So not terribly important, but not quite the same
as normal browsing of custom groups. (I think...)